Chapter Fifty-Five

Start from the beginning

Roxy’s POV

We ambled through the quiet streets, popping into a few stores, and enjoying a quiet lunch tucked into a small table in the back corner of the sandwich shop I worked at when I was in high school. The place held many memories for me. It was my first job, and I was a hard worker; saving up enough cash to buy an old used Honda when I turned sixteen. The décor had been updated when the owner sold it a few years back, but it still smelled the same.

“I got to first base in that bathroom.” I smiled, taking a sip of iced tea. I wasn’t quite sure if he was even familiar with the phrase, given he wasn’t exactly a baseball nut.

“Oh yeah?” He laughed. “Wild child.”

“Second base, too.”  I added, tucking my hand beneath the table and running it along his thigh. He cocked an eyebrow as he put his sandwich back down into the paper-lined plastic basket.

“What has gotten into you, lately?” he whispered across the table.

My fingertips crept up a little higher. “I’m not sure I know what you mean.” I replied, blinking innocently. He looked around at the other customers, all four of them totally oblivious to our presence beyond a couple of filled chairs.

“You want me to take you into that bathroom and…” he stumbled. “…How many bases are there?

“Four.” I giggled.

“You want me to take you into that bathroom and go to fourth base?” He said, pulling his deepest voice, trying not to crack a smile.

“Fourth base.” I laughed, nearly spitting my tea. He was so fucking adorable, and he didn’t even know it. “Darling, I’m a posh London girl now.” He picked up his sandwich and took an oversized bite, chewing with his mouth open, realizing I was only toying with him. “I would never do such a vile thing.” I added.

“Bowwchit” he muttered, mouth full.

I tried my hardest to pretend to be offended, but at the same time I felt the heat rising in my chest, knowing he was referring to the first and only time I’d had sex in a public bathroom; an upscale Mediterranean Restaurant in The East End. What can I say? The seabass entrée along with the bottle of wine I drank moved me.  

“Shut it, Horan.” Is all I managed to say.

Are you a London girl now?” he said, taking our empty baskets and emptying them into the trash can along the window. I thought about his question as he refilled our cups at the soda machine. I know he was just repeating the words that had originally come out of my mouth, but hearing them again sort of stunned me in a way. Was I?  This little sandwich shop, the bedroom I grew up in, were these all places in the town where I used to live?

“I’m not sure.” I said quietly, sliding my hand into his as we walked out the door.

“Bookstore next?” he said, already forgetting that he’d asked the question.

Niall’s POV

“”Nother beer, Niall?” Jeff asked as Roxy shuffled the cards in the wooden seat across from me.

“Please.” I said.

“Me too, Daddy.” she said, pulling her chair in closer to the table and tucking her leg beneath her. She was terrible at shuffling.  I placed a silent bet with myself that the cards would come flying from beneath her fingers at her next attempt at a bridge. Her tongue found its way to the crease of her lips as she concentrated.

“What’s this game called again?” I asked.

“Euchre.” Her mother said, putting a bowl of crisps down on the table and taking the seat next to me.