Chapter 42 - Determination

Start from the beginning

I went to class feeling uneasy. I couldn't focus on anything anyone was saying. It wasn't until my next class that I snapped out of it, that was when I saw Alayne walking in. I sat there waiting for her to greet me but nothing... she didn't even look my way. I was beginning to feel petrified, something must be going on.

I called out to Alayne after class ended but she kept walking like she couldn't hear me. My words not reaching her made everything feel more like a nightmare.

During lunch period I headed over to the cafeteria hoping to find everyone there. I'll just stroll in like everything is normal and hopefully its just Theo that is upset with whatever I did. I went up to the line and got an apple, a carton of chocolate milk, two slices of bread and some vegetables. I waited a moment, readying myself for whatever was about to happen. With every step it felt like the weight of my feet doubled, it got to the point where I almost fled, but I realized I couldn't leave things the way they are. I can't go back to living life like this... alone, I had to at least try.

When I finally reached their table all of their eyes locked sight on me, making me super uneasy. They sat there, watching me silently. It was the same for me, I didn't move, I couldn't at this point. I was too scared to do anything. They weren't wearing faces of friends, their expression showed nothing other than disgust and disapproval. It was like I was some stranger who decided to randomly eat lunch with them. A few more seconds of awkward silence passed before Ash broke it.

"Look man... we don't really want you here." He said not meeting my eyes. For a split second it all seemed like a joke but as time passed everything became all too real. Everyone's faces seemed to be a clear sign they agreed with Ash. I dropped my tray on the table and walked out of the cafeteria... then the school. On my way out I overheard Nicki whisper "He really has the nerve to show up in front of us after what he did?". What did she mean by that? What have I done to deserve this?

I sat outside the school grounds waiting for it to end so I could catch a bus back home. I just can't stop going over what happened in my head. Was this their way of ditching me? Was this planned all along? I'm not the greatest person in the world but I figured I could at least have a friend, someone who sticks by me through thick and thin. The final bell eventually rang with kids pouring out of the building moments later. In the midst of those students I spotted Theo. I stood from my seat and hastily made my way in front of him.

"What's going on... why are you all avoiding me?" I ask with my voice unintentionally going shaky.

"Look, get out of my way, I don't have time for this." He said, moving me to the side himself. I didn't push the conversation any further. I let him walk away and hung my head low in defeat.

I got on the bus back to my neighborhood and headed in for work. I didn't let what happened today effect my work, if anything I was more determined. Everything may be bad at the moment but if I keep trying I'm sure... I'm sure I'll be able to fix it. That thought is what got me through the day.

I finished work without any problems. Even though I was distracted I managed to pull through. I returned to the house to find it empty. At least everything isn't all bad today, right? I don't have to endure another beating from my father.