Chapter 9

*Cora P.O.V.*

"Chris-"

"Boy what did I just say?! I'm telling her about her father and mother whether you like it or not!"

I can already tell this Chris Knight has some major anger issues.

"I was going to suggest explaining the world first, rather than go straight into it and scaring her. She may not believe you if you immediately explain about her parents."

"Then tell her while I still have my patience. I will search for your...guest. You have five minutes to explain what you must. Then it's my turn." With that he left the room.

"Chris what's going on?" I obviously knew what was happening but he doesn't need to know that.

"Cora. I need you to listen to everything I'm about to say, ok?" I nodded and he took a deep breath as though readying himself. "The world you think you know is completely different. There are these...monsters in the world that people like my family take care of. I'm not talking monsters under your bed. I mean vampires, werewolves, shifters, faeries. Not the cute little fairies like Tinker Bell, the horrifying kind that love to lead people to their death because to them, it's fun. My family is a part of a group of people called hunters. We hunt these creatures when they break the rules or even when the elders, or leaders, of their kind hire us to. Not all are bad, which is why we don't just go about killing things."

"So how does Chris know about all this? How does he know about my parents?"

"He's a very well-known hunter. He hunts mainly on his own, so no one usually knows what he looks like. I thought he was just a myth. He was found by a vampire who turned out to be his mate. Vampires have mates but it doesn't mean they will fall in love with them right away. It just means that that's who they are meant to be with. We hunters can split up mates but in no way harm either of them unless they did something against their law. Turning your mate without their consent, for instance, is one. That's what Chris' mate did. His mate turned him, so he killed him. Now Chris is the only known hunter turned vampire."

At that moment Knight walked in.

"Don't tell my story." He snarled, then looked at me. "Do you believe everything?"

I gulped. "Yes. I guess I always knew something was off about the world."

"Good. Now onto the topic of your parents. Your father was a hunter. A good one too. I worked with him once. He fell in love with your mother and her with him. Very shortly after your brother was born, her vampire mate found her. He had searched for her for a long time so he wanted her immediately. He threatened to kill her family if she didn't go with him. He gave her a few years to be there for your younger brother then he would come back. Your mother never told your father about this. She had no choice but to go, she was protecting you, your brother, and the one she loved."

"How do you know all this?" I choked out. What the actual fuck? Is he kidding?

"I was assigned to watch her and her mate during her first couple of years which ended up never happening. He never turned her, she refused it so he had no choice but to listen. Her mate was suspected of killing local prostitutes so I was already watching him, I just took on the duty of watching her as well. Your mother never lost her love for your father and never fell in love with her mate. He was a very jealous vampire and hated that she couldn't get over your father and suspected that was why she wouldn't allow him to change her. After a few years went by, a few months ago to be exact, her mate came back into town and saw the perfect opportunity. He made it so your brother 'found' more money in the arcade at the roller rink to keep him busy, made you fall giving you the distraction of a cute boy, and went to seek out your father. He was alone, pitying his own existence. Her mate made it obvious to your father he was a vampire and lured him away from the rink. He wasn't as skilled as he used to be though, giving the vampire the perfect opening to drain him dry and simply toss away his body. Your mother found out what he did and killed herself. I, being their guardian hunter so to say, had all rights to kill her mate for killing a human who happened to also be a hunter."