Pawed

Chapter 12: Challenged

Tristen's P.O.V.

I ran over the border to No-mans land and kept running till I found her. Right away I realized that her escence was purely evil. This wasn't her...

I hide behinds a tree and just in time, she turns towards me and smiles. Her eyes are pitch black orbs. No emotion...nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You know I was looking for you, but now I don't have to...I can just kill you!" She says lunging at the tree. I dart out from be hide it and whip my head back towards her before sprinting off in the other direction.

I could never get far enough ahead to not have her nipping at my heels. I shift into my wolf and run harder. My wolf screams at me to slow down and let her catch up. I obey him and slow down. Instantly I see her getting closer but I also see the border to my territory coming into view.

I pick up enough speed to not be caught but still slow enough that when I cross she will too. Just two more strides...

I'm across...

So is she...

I shift back to humanoid form and look at her eyes. "Melanie? Are you okay?" I ask cautiously. She looks up and I see her normal brown eyes and also the confusion in them. "Tristen? Where am I?" She asks. We're in my territory. I had to bring you here to get rid of that...thing that was controlling you. Sorry, I understand if your mad." I say. She looks down at the ground, then up at me. She launches herself into my arms and starts sobbing and saying sorry.

"Mel? Is that you?" Elijah says from behind me. Melanie looks up and runs into his arms. Elijah looks startled but seems to get over it quickly. He hugs her and says soothing things to her. When she's done crying he looks up at me and marches over towards me.

"What the hell did you do to her?" He says grabbing my throat and pulling me up. What he's doing to my doesn't caught off oxygen but does hurt like heck.

"Elijah he didn't do anything...it was my fault!" Melanie says. "How is it your fault?" Elijah asks her without taking his eyes off me. "I'll explain when we get home...please Elijah." She says almost in tears again. He drops me and turns to his mate again. "Melanie...what happened to you? I want to know, I have a right to know!" Elijah says. "I agree, you do have a right to know. So here it is... Ever since I was a little girl I've had this voice in my head making me do bad, no terrible, things. Every once in a while he would show himself. My dad told me it was a big black wolf inside me trying to get out. Only when I shifted for the first time did I get what he meant...I have two wolves. One that's good and one that's bad. The one you just met was...Hunter. My good wolf, her name is Abbie! I think that's why I have two mates? Because I have two wolves..." Melanie finishes saying.