"I like."

"You are...picture perfect."

"I don't know about all that."

"Come on now. Let us go down." Mary said, squeezing Nora's hand.

Nora followed Mary across the threshold and out into the hallway. Her nerves were jumbling but she tried her best not to show it. She realized that she hadn't been outside of her room in more than a month. It felt foreign and odd for her to leave the comfort of her room. However, the hunger that was racking her stomach overrode that panic.

They ran into no one as they walked to the breakfast nook. Nora was happy about that.

When they got to the table, Nora went to sit in her usual spot. She looked around, palming the table. She wanted to feel everything, from the wood grain to the chair covers. She even peered at the dust that whirled in the air. Nora wanted to make sure it was all real - that she was not going to open her eyes and be back in bed.

Mary had left her sitting and she returned with Nora's food. She placed it in front of her and stood there, wringing her hands. She was waiting for something in Nora to snap and her whole body to fall limp and to the floor.

Nora picked at the food - buttered toast, sliced banana, and blueberries.

"What's the matter?" Mary asked, concernedly.

"Nothing. It looks yummy. But...do you think I could have pancakes?"

"Pancakes!?"

"Yep. Pancakes. This looks good, it does, but I'm just hankering for some pancakes right about now."

"I will get the cook to bring them in right away. Do you want me to take that plate?"

"No no. I'll finish this. But, could I have a stack of chocolate chip buttermilk pancakes - at least four - with whip cream and syrup? Butter on the side please."

Mary could not hide her beaming smile.

"Certainly."

"One glass of milk and another of orange juice. Oh and half a grapefruit please."
Nora's pale face bloomed slightly in embarrassment as she gave her order. Mary was delighted to see her have some color on her face.

"Coming right up."

Nora watched as Mary speedily walked off to get her dish made. She sat there quietly, munching. She was at peace for the most part, though she felt off-kilter just a little bit. She was distracted from her chewing by high pitched voices.

She looked forward and saw a small, black-haired head disappear behind a wall.

"She saw us!" The disembodied voice whispered.

Nora knew who that voice belonged to and for the first time in so long, she felt joy.

"Peyton?" Nora called out to the air.

She heard nothing in return.

"Peyton! Annabelle! Come here." She coaxed sweetly.

The two showed themselves but kept themselves at a distance. They were as cute as ever. Nora missed Peyton's serious gaze and Anna's bouncing curls.

"You're not gonna come give me a hug?" Nora asked, standing up.

"Papa said you were sick. Are you still sick, Nora?" Annabelle wondered, gazing at Nora expectantly.

"No. I'm not sick anymore. I'm as healthy as a horse."

"Are you sure? Cause I don't want to get any germs." Peyton sneered.