Role Model.

I was sitting around with my niece and other friends before the second show at the Rose Bowl when Marshall walked in the room. I immediately tensed up and tried to focus on the baby in my lap. The previous night was still ringing loudly in my head.

"You're just so beautiful," I began, stroking her hair. "And I hope you never end up dating assholes like I do."

Mel heard my comment and laughed, moving over on the couch so Marshall could sit down next to me. My niece Majesty, not even a year old, automatically seemed to reach out for him. He seemed shocked at first, but then he grabbed her and pulled her onto his lap.

"That's so precious! Right, Rob?" Mel cooed. She was always egging us on no matter what. I hadn't told her about the night before because I was almost ashamed I cracked like that.

"Yeah, but why'd you come in here?" I directed the question at him and I had to poke him to snap him out of his zone with the baby.

"Huh...oh yeah," he looked to the baby then back to me, "I need to talk to you. Alone."

"Is it about the surprise you've been all hush hush about?" Jenn asked now. Marshall had told us all he had a surprise for everyone the morning after the show. He didn't even give us any clues except to dress comfortably.

"Of course I've been hush hush about it. Because if I wasn't it wouldn't be a surprise would it?" he sassed back at Jenn. She pretended to hit him with the water bottle, and he pointed to the baby as self defense.

"Fine we'll leave," Mel said, reaching out for the baby. Marshall shook his head.

"She stays with me." He planted a kiss on top of her head and I almost melted in my seat. Of course he's good with kids he did help raise three girls. Still it was weird to see him with an actual baby.

My crew cleared out, and soon it was just quiet with the exception of the sounds coming from my niece.

"Look...if you're gonna apologize I don't wanna hear it," I told Marshall.

"Good. I wasn't coming here to apologize," he said a matter-of-factly. I tried my best to hide the fact that the comment hurt my feelings. But what did he have to apologize for? He just told me stop being so stupid.

"I found the girl. The one who survived the shootout? Her name is Jasmine. She seems like a tough ass over the phone, but she'll talk to us. Just tryna work out how since we won't be in New York for a few days. And I assume you don't wanna do anymore late night trips with me," he explained, passing the baby to me and pulling out his alternative phone to show me the call log. He just reminded me that I didn't even know where to go after this. I planned on spending the time between shows with him in Michigan, but since that wouldn't work...

"I'm going to New York early. Could you forward her number to me, please?" I asked in a level tone. He rose his eyebrows at me, probably because of how formal I was sounding, but nodded to do what I asked.

We sat there in silence for another heavy minute before he leaned back on the couch and stretched out his body in exhaustion. He pulled off the hoodie and hat combo he sported before glancing over at me with tired eyes.

"I don't wanna say sorry," he stated softly.

"Then don't," I replied, having to break my gaze from him as always.

"But I want the show to be amazing. You can't even make eye contact with me for more than two seconds, Robyn."

"I've never been able to make eye contact with you for a long time," I mumbled, playing with my nieces hair. A vulnerable feeling was washing over me.