chapter 2

As Andy entered the camp, she rode through in silence, ignoring all the whistles and cat-calls directed at her. She was used to this kind of treatment from her father's men, but that didn't mean that she liked it. She couldn't stand the look of more than half of the men. Their teeth were rotted and they hadn't bathed in months. It was remarkable how they could stay on their horses and shoot a gun, judging by they're smell, they were always drunk.

Andy Maneuvered her way to the tent she shared with her father. At the head of the camp she jumped off her horse and unsaddled in one fluid motion, and let her horse graze. Lifting the tent flap, Andy entered into the tent.

"Where have you been!" Carson demanded.

"I was out riding." She replied in monotone. She walked over to her sleeping bag and laid down. It was going to be another sleepless night. There was just something about that young sheriff's face. She wanted to see him tomorrow. It would be their last day in the area before they moved on to the next victim. Today, more than ever, she wanted out. She wanted to run away and get away from her father and his men. She had decided. She would make a break for it, and run. She would get away from these men and their nasty ways, and start her life new. All she had to do now was wait for the perfect time.

Wayne made it back to town and went to the jail. Upon opening the door, he was met by John, his deputy.

" Wayne i've got a hunch as to where the killer might be." he said quickly with excitement.

"where?"

"in the valley by the river. Some ranchers could see some smoke over there earlier today."

wayne stood and thought for a moment. He had forgotten to look there after he found Andy. He was too distracted to even keep his head about the job. His thoughts quickly switched to her. Where did she come from? She couldnt have something to do with the murder could she? He hoped not.

Wayne and John walked over to the saloon where they ate supper and talked things over.

"in the morning, you and I can go check it out. Send a telegram to sheriff Bennett that our killer could be headed his way." Wayne said to john. They ate the rest of their meal in silence. Tonight, Wayne would stay at the jail. It was his turn, and unlike John, he didnt have a wife and family at home waiting for his return.

Wayne walked into the jail, and lit the lamps. The jail was empty tonight, so there wasnt much for him to do. He went to the desk and started on some paperwork.

On a full moon night there is plenty of light to see by, to not need a lamp. Andy was thankful for this feature. After the events earlier, she was ready to get out. Maybe she could warn the sheriff, and maybe save his life.

Andy crept out of the old tent that had been her home since the fire. She was quiet not to wake anyone, praying she didn't step on a branch. She found her way to her horse and began to saddle. She was careful not to make too much noise. She went back to the tent for her saddle bags. Opening the tent flap, she could tell that her father was awake now.

"where were you?" he asked irritatedly. By his booming voice she could tell he wasnt happy.

"i had to pee." she said, hoping he would believe her lie.

"Your saddle is gone." she knew he knew now. He turned around swiftly and caught her in the jaw. "You were going to leave me." he yelled getting angrier by the second. He punched her in the stomache, and grabbed her by the hair as she started to fall. "first your brother, then your mother, and now you!" he threw her down on the ground. He continued to kick and beat her, until he thought she wouldnt try it again.