He never finished his sentence because she turned the call off.

"Block all lines, go into sleep mode, and prepare to hack their system. I need to know how close to the cure they really are," Salsa got up.

She left the basement and went to the living room.

The yellow Christmas tree lights she lit up every night at the back of the house made her experience agony again.

She ran upstairs and stripped before lying next to Newt. His hands were warm again and she caressed his cheeks.

"I love you," she whispered, kissing his neck before she cuddled in his arms.

"Love you, Salsa," he whispered, turning in his sleep.

But she couldn't fall asleep.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The next morning, she saw Newt petting Oli. They played in the hall, the boy and the dog.

"He likes me." Newt looked at her and smiled.

"Who wouldn't like you?" she came to him and kissed his soft fluffy hair.

They ate breakfast, smiling widely and decided to go for a boat ride along the lake. Newt had never been on a boat before. He was so excited. Salsa showed him how to row and soon, they both paddled in a steady rhythm while enjoying the fresh air, the silence and each other's presence. They stopped by the other shore and pulled the boat on the sand of the beach.

"Who would think that I would like to sit on sand again?" mused Newt when they took food and drinks out of their backpacks. They sat on the beach, cuddling into each other.

"Can I ask you something?" Newt looked at her.

"Sure," she said.

"I'm sorry if it's too personal but I still think about it. Who was your ex?"

She sighed.

"I shouldn't have asked," Newt was worried.

"No, it's fine," she looked at the lake. "He was studying to become a lawyer and my father met him in the capitol. He invited him over because he liked him, and I did too. I was very young then and for the first time, I got the impression that a guy seemed attracted to me. It wasn't this huge feeling. I knew it but times were hard so I decided, I'll stick to what's in front of me, like I always do."

"Tommy does it too, you're kind of alike," muttered Newt. "Sorry."

"So..." Salsa tried to ignore his comment. "He really liked me, maybe loved, so I decided to be his girlfriend. We dated for two years, and then... he caught the virus, his condition got worse. He needed to be separated from others because he became dangerous. I somehow decided to concentrate on my life. I knew I was immune. My parents were. My ex died on the streets of Washington from the hands of a soldier after he had torn apart three other soldiers and ate all the Cranks that came to the city with him."

She lowered her voice. "Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm embarrassed, that I was with him. I never felt love till I met you. It was love at first sight; I just saw your eyes and couldn't stop staring... don't laugh," she looked at him.

"It was the same for me," he said, kissing her.

She laid her head on his shoulder and felt safe.

Then they rowed back and kissed when they went into the house.

"I'll just free Oli, and come to the bedroom," she said between kisses.

"I'll wait in bed, naked," he whispered, biting her ear.

He smiled and he ran upstairs.

"Oli!" she shouted, going to the kitchen and taking the bag with the dog food.

Salsa whistled but the dog didn't answer.

"Where are you?" she looked around. "Oli!"

No answer. She opened the front door but remembered leaving him locked in the house.

"Oli!" she shouted again.

The woods answered with perfect silence.

She moved around the house and froze, seeing that the window in the backdoor was broken.

Thank you for all the support, I'm so happy about the feedback. Let me know if you prefer me to do shorter chapters and update twice a week, or do one longer once a week?

I dedicate this chapter to jenalee28
If you like this chapter please consider to vote and comment.

Much love