Chapter Nine: Panic

Start from the beginning

From ahead, Elvira halted her snow cat and whipped around. "Be quiet. We're in enemy territory, I can smell them and with all the bantering you two are doing, they can probably do more than smell us. Honestly, Soren, I expected the type of amateur thing from her but you're just a disappointment."

My muscles clenched as I tasted the air. Yes, she was right. Definitely goblin stench, but from who, I couldn't tell. Goblins didn't make prey lines, but even so I cast my eyes to the ground, hoping to find something that could help us. Instead, there was the same mess of green and blue that blended into the icy pathways and the harsh whiteness of the sun glinting off the mountain rocks.

Soren gave an easy smile. "We can handle anything."
Elvira huffed. "Maybe, for now Rekke can ride by you and Janneke by me."
Rekke's eyes widened and a blush crept on her cheeks. To make it worse, Soren winked at the young goblin. Dear Gods Above, I can't take this.

If Rekke wanted Soren then she could have him. Better he infuriate someone else.

I nudged Panic forward toward Elvira and her snow cat. The young stallion whinnied nervously at the sight of the animal's sharp fangs. I ran a hand through his mane. I hadn't forgotten that they tried to kill us either. The snow cat bared his teeth at us and Panic struggled to keep his footing. I won't let him hurt you. Even the telepathic link couldn't calm the horse's frantic nerves.

"He doesn't like you," Elvira said with a toss of her raven-black hair.

"I wonder why," I said dryly.

"You do?" She narrowed her brow in confusion.

I sighed. She was even worse than Soren. One hundred years later, it was surprising I could even joke at all at this point. "You're going to be the death of me."

"Yes," she nodded. "I am."
It wasn't what she said that froze my blood, it was how she said it. So simple and emotionless. She could've been ordering lunch for all the difference it would make.

I wasn't about to let her see my shake. I gripped Panic's reins hard and narrowed my eyes. "I have to warn you, I'm notoriously hard to kill."

"I've heard," she snorted. "What did Lydian do to you, again? Rape you half to death and cut off your breast? I'm surprised you're able to show your face."
Heat flashed across my body, lingering on the scar tissue of my chest. It was almost as if his crazed rambling was carried on the wind. Why won't you listen to me? Don't you know what's coming? Don't you get it? What's so special about you? Sweetheart, I wish I could kill you. Invisible ants crawled across my skin as I was brought back to where he'd forced himself on me night after night.

Elvira grinned, knowing she'd hit a nerve.

I shook the pain from my mind before it could take root. "He also will never walk or use his left arm the same way again."

"Soren should've killed you the moment your filthy hand grabbed his robes. Instead he treats you like a pet. Tell me, do you sleep on the foot of his bed or do you curl around his naked body?" She glared back to where he rode with her niece, the two of them engaged in a conversation that looked a lot less dire than ours. Rekke was practically glowing with happiness and Soren's small grin was enough to show that even he couldn't resist the young goblin's enthusiasm. Elvira curled her lip as she watched them.

My eyes widened, finally realizing what Soren meant when he said I 'threatened' Elvira. It wasn't about power or skill. No, this was personal. From the way she ate him up with her eyes and the almost palpable hostility rising from her there was no mistaking it.