Chapter 62

I can see the outline of the harbour in the distance, it's dotted with grotty rotting boats covered in algae. As we slowly approach, I start fiddling with my gun anxiously, what if there is no way to get back to Britain? What do we do then?
Nash pulls over in a car park to the side of the docks, we all jump out one by one with our few possessions. Cameron walks past all the boats, looking for one that is still usable, while Nash guards. Freddie stands next to me quietly.
"It's quiet," I mutter, he nods in agreement. I walk towards one of the boats, it looks quite new, but there is a gaping hole in the side of it. I'm surprised it hasn't sunk. I lean forwards and peer into the window of the boat. Inside are two skeletons, they're bony fingers are intertwined as they sit facing out to sea. What happened? I look around at all their possessions, these were people once. I feel a hand on my shoulder and turn to see Cameron.
"I found something."
He starts leading me past all the boats. Nash and Freddie follow on behind us. We reach a small but intact boat, it's not too rotten and looks quite strong.
"Captain," says Cameron to Nash. Nash nods and clambers onto the boat, it shakes slightly and sinks a bit his weight. He hops up and down a couple times on it to make sure its stable, then climbs inside.
"It's all good down here."
Cameron climbs onto the boat then grabs my hand and pulls me up after him, doing the same for Freddie. Nash emerges from inside the boat and climbs up to the front, looking at all the cables and sails and ropes. I jump down into the small cabin on the boat and look around, it's small, there's a bench type thing at the far end of the small space with a long cushion on it, a very small kitchenette and bathroom. I set my gun down and look at Cameron who's jumped in after me. He smiles encouragingly.
"It's all going to be okay."
I smile back and climb outside to Nash.
"All good here, ready to go?"
I take a deep breath and nod.
"Time to go home."

-2 weeks later-

We've been on the sea for so many days I've barely been able to keep count. Out morale couldn't get any lower, our throats are always dry and our stomachs usually empty. We have to ration everything we brought, and everything we found on the boat very strictly, in case we get lost. I sit on the seat inside the cabin, leaning my back against the wall, Freddie comes over sits next to me, Nash and Cameron are outside on the boat.
"I can't remember the last time I washed my hair," I grin deliriously.
Freddie looks at me, "I can't remember the last time I took out the garbage, and I miss it."
I burst out laughing.
"You miss taking out the garbage?"
"Little things Eve, little things," he smiles leaning his back against the wall too. I feel so much better now that things between us are good again.
"Do you miss bills?"
"Ever so much."
"And Mondays?"
"Monday's still exist."
"But now there's no reason to hate them," I laugh. He thinks for a second.
"Well I guess I miss having a reason to hate Mondays."
I smile, reliving memories of my old life in my head.
"Do you think England is going to be as bad?"
"If I'm honest Eve," he sighs, "I do."
I look out at the beautiful shimmering sea through the cabin window. What's the harm in trying?
I stand up and kiss Freddie on the cheek, before clambering out of the cabin and onto the deck of the boat, feeling the wind blowing through my hair. I lean my hands on the railing and look out to sea again. I feel that empty feeling wash over me again. That miserable, sad feeling that keeps hitting me since what happened to Cameron and I under Susan's capture. I shake my head, trying to force the feeling away, but it stays, lingering like a storm cloud above my head.
"NASH LOOK!" I hear Cameron yell.
I turn to them and see Cameron pointing in the distance at the other side of the boat. I squint at where he's pointing and see a black object floating in the ocean. I move over to them, curious.
"What's happening?"
"We've seen something," replies an excited Cameron.
"Eve, this could save us."
"How?"
"There may be vital supplies on, whatever it is."
I stare at the object as we move closer and closer to it. Suddenly I feel something else in the pit of my stomach. Worry. Anxiety. Nerves. A bad feeling, and I've felt it before.
"Nash don't go to it."
"What? Are you crazy?"
"Nash don't go to it."
"Eve?"
I glare at him.
"Something bad is going to happen," Cameron replies for me, "and something bad won't happen if we don't? Like starving?"
"I'm warning-"
"Eve enough. We'll be careful."
I back down, trying to calm myself. This is bad, I can feel it. I run back down into the cabin where Freddie is still sitting peacefully.
My stomach wrenches when I see him, my knees buckle in pain and I collapse onto the ground.
"Eve?!" Freddie rushes to my side, "Eve what's wrong?"
I shake my head, my palms start sweating, my heart beating faster.
"Come on," Freddie pulls me up and helps me out of the cabin to the edge of the boat, he holds my hair back as I throw up over the side.
When I'm finished he helps me back into the cabin and sits me down on the bench, kneeling in front of me.
"Eve?" His worried eyes search mine. He picks up both my hands.
"Eve are you okay?"
"They've found something," I mutter, "floating in the ocean."
Freddie furrows his brow.
"So?"
"I don't feel good about it Freddie. I just want everyone to be safe, I want everyone to live for once. Something bad is going to-" I'm interrupted by my own gag. I clamp my hand over my mouth, trying not to be sick again. Freddie strokes my other hand with his thumb.
"Happen?" He finishes for me. I nod in response. The gagging passes, I focus back on Freddie.
"I never stopped caring about you," I whisper.
Freddie's eyes widen slightly, this is probably the last thing he expected me to say. I reach for my necklace with both hands and fiddle with the ring.
"I shut you out Freddie. I let you sit there and watch me and Cameron be happy, even after everything you went through, and I'm so sorry," my voice cracks and I take a deep breath, willing myself not to cry.
"Eve you don't have to say this, I understan-"
"No," I stop him, "I need to apologise. I'm so sorry."
Freddie nods, looking down at the ground.
"I just..." I look up to the ceiling, somehow hoping my already falling tears will retreat back into my eyes. I explain to him everything that happened when we were kidnapped with Susan. Everything they did to Cameron, everything they did to me. Freddie listens in horror. When I finish he leans up and pulls me into a tight hug.
"Oh Jesus Evelyn... I wish I'd shot those motherfuckers myself," he whispers.
"I feel so empty," I cry, "and it won't go away."
Freddie rocks us back and forth.
"Shhh, I'm here for you, you're okay."
I pull my head back and look at him, scanning his face. Suddenly it's just me and him, on a boat in the middle of the ocean. His breathing quickens, his eyes searching mine, looking for anything that gives him clarification, gives him a hint to what I'm thinking, but I'm thinking nothing. I'm empty, and he can see it.
His face is so close to mine I can feel the heat radiating from it on my cheeks, he smells like Freddie. That musky, familiar smell that I've always loved. Freddie slowly leans closer, and I don't stop him. He's the one who's here for me, the one who's listening to me, he loves me, and he always has. Suddenly I see a figure out of the corner of my eye, standing in the entrance to the cabin. I pull away from Freddie to get a closer look. It's Cameron. I just cannot do anything right.