Chapter 39

Survivors?
I rush outside the house and see two figures at the gate. I slowly make my way over to them, trying to see past the group of people that's gathered at the gate.
"EVELYN?"
Someone moves out of the way and I see Matt and Nash standing at the gate.
"Holy-"
I run to them excitedly.
"Open the gates!" I tell the man at the control panel.
He taps a few buttons and the gates slowly open. They both run in and Matt pulls me into a hug.
I smile at Nash and pull away.
"Come inside."
I lead them to the house and they start talking to Susan while I head upstairs back to Cameron. He's sleeping on the bed. I shut the door behind me and walk over, I bend over him and poke his nose. He looks up at me sleepily.
"Good morning."
"Cameron, it's like 4pm."
"I slept in?"
"You've been asleep for like 20 minutes."
"Oh."
"Matt and Nash are here"
"WHAT?"
He sits up and leans on his elbows.
"They're just talking to Susan, I guess they headed north, like us."
He nods and lies back down again.
"What did Susan want to talk to you about?"
"She told me not to tell you guys that I don't like how it feels here, she said I better watch out or I could be zombie bait."
Cameron's eyebrows furrow and he looks angry.
"Stupid cow," he mutters. I sit down on the bed and sigh.
"This is the best we're going to get Cameron. We just have to watch our backs, and stay safe as long as possible." He sits up beside me and I lean my head on his shoulder.
"Where were you when you were first hit?"
Cameron stiffens up. He stares at the wall in front and doesn't reply.
"Cameron?"
He continues to stare at the wall.
"Cameron? Are you okay?"
A tear slowly runs down his cheek.
"It was all my fault." He whispers.
"You- what?"
He gets up from the bed and rushes out of the room. What did I do?
I stand up and stumble to the door quickly, but Cameron's already gone. What's going on? Freddie and Finn emerge from their room, Freddie looks as if he's been crying, Finn glares at me angrily. I'm pissing everyone off. They both make their way downstairs to the kitchen and come up again moments later with a box each. I go downstairs to see what's going on.
"Ah evelyn," smiles one of the men, while Susan glares darkly at me from a corner.
"We are having our dinner now, please do not disturb us as it's an important matter in this household."
I look at his dark sunken eyes suspiciously.
"Okay..."
"These boxes are food, this is your dinner for tonight."
"I prepared them for you specially," smiles Susan evilly.
I lift the lid of the small box and see carrot and potato peels. I pick up the box and pour it's contents over Susan, the peels spew out everywhere her, some getting stuck in her hair.
"HOW DARE YOU?!" she screeches.
"Sorry my dear," I smile and leave. That felt good.
I should probably find Cameron. I feel bad for upsetting him earlier. I head outside the house and come to a huge barn. I push the large door open and see Cameron sitting on the ground. I walk over and sit next to him.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you."
He keeps his gaze on the ground.
"It's alright. You didn't know. I- I just can't talk about it."
I nod and smile at him.
"Do you know what that is?"
There are massive metal doors at the far end of the barn, but they don't have handles or keyholes or anything, just two huge metal doors.
"No but I don't like it," I stare at it, "I want to find out what it is but, we should probably get inside."
Cameron nods so I stand up and hold my hand out, he takes it and lets me lead him out of the barn and towards the house, suddenly Susan out jumps in front of me from my left, still with a few peels in her hair. She doesn't look happy.
"What were you doing in there??"
"What's it to you?" I spit.
"THATS PRIVATE PROPERTY!"
"SO WAS YOUR MAMA, DIDNT STOP ME." I know it was lame, but I had to.
Her face turns bright red and she looks as if she's about to explode.
"YOU DONT GO IN THERE BITCH."
"THE BARN OR YOUR MAMA?" Cameron Pipes up. I start laughing at him but Susan
punches me across the face causing me to stumble back, clutching my face.
"Ow, FUCK!" I screech.
Cameron steps forward.
"Alright, we don't have to resort to violence," he puts his hands up, an angry expression on his face. Susan pulls out a tazer and tazes Cameron to the ground, where did she get that?
"YOU COW!" I grab her hair and pull, placing my foot on her stomach and pushing. She throws herself forwards so I fall to the ground.
"GET OFF ME FATASS!" I scream punching wildly. She scratches and slaps me. I punch her in the eye and she punches me in mine.
"SCREW YOU!" I screech kicking her off and rolling over, siting up on top of her, she looks up at me through a swollen eye and spits out some blood. She is quite fat actually. How is she so fat? When we get vegetable peels for food?
I draw my gun and push it to her head.
"Shoot me you whore," she spits. I hit her in the head with the gun, not very hard, and climb off her.
"You're disgusting. I know you have a secret and I'm not leaving before exposing you of it."
Cameron slowly starts to wake up so I grab him.
"Cmon cam."
"You're in a lot of trouble my dear," she breathes, laughing to herself as we walk away.