Chapter 42

There's a room, behind these doors. But not just a room. A kitchen, a slaughterhouse. There are bloodstained saws and blades, a huge cooker, fridge, bloodstained worktops, so much blood. It's a very modern and amazing kitchen, but it's completely covered in blood. I hear a groan from the right and I turn, I see doors and rush to them, throwing them open.
"Oh my god Taylor!"
He's on the ground, he has no legs and one arm missing, he lies there panting.
"Help," he whispers. The others follow me inside and see Taylor.
"Motherfu-"
Cameron runs to Taylor and drops down next to him.
"Oh my fuck Taylor, oh my FUCK. I'm so sorry."
"I think... I might be dying," he breathes.
"You're in shock," says Cameron.
Taylor sighs weakly.
The other guys crouch next to Taylor.
"You'll be missed Tay," mumbles Cameron.
"Can you... Tell me you'll survive. All of you. Kill those motherfuckers in there."
"We'll fight with you in our hearts Taylor."
Taylor's breathing starts to fail.
"Mmmmm."
His eyes slowly close.
"I love you guys," he whispers before he falls still. We sit in shock for a bit, I blink the tears out of my eyes. At least we got here just in time to say goodbye. If only we had found all this out yesterday, Taylor would still be with us.
"I wish we could give him a funeral, but we need to get out of here," I whisper.
Cameron nods and we stand all up.
"Bye Taylor," I whisper sadly. We walk away slowly, looking at the ground.
"Ah, how nice of you to drop in my dears."
We look up and see Susan and everyone with her at the metal doors to the dining room.
"YOU PEOPLE ARE SICK. SICK AND DISGUSTING. YOU KILLED OUR FRIEND TO FEED YOUR ZOMBIE PETS?" I scream at her, pure rage fuelling me.
"They are our family dear," replies Susan, "and they need to eat."
"PISS OFF! ILL KILL YOU YOU BITCH. Or worse."
I lift my gun to one of the zombies heads. Susan's eyes widen.
"No!"
I pull the trigger and the zombie slumps, dead, I point at the next zombie, and shoot, and the next, and the next. I finish and point my gun at Susan. Her eyes narrow and she looks furious.
"HOW DARE YOU KILL MY FAMILY!"
"YOU FED TAYLOR TO THOSE THINGS."
"YOU WITCH!" yells Cameron.
"Well," Susan is red and looks very angry.
One of the guys raises a gun and shoots, my gun falls to the ground, I snap my hand back. That was a good shot. More people run in and take all our guns.
"Have fun my dears, starve to death. Be forced to eat your little friend over there."
She steps back out of the room and presses a button, the doors begin to close. I run to them but am too late.
"CRAP!" I scream, kicking the door with my combat boot. The doors to the kitchen close too. We're trapped. I slide down the wall. Cameron comes and sits opposite me, while the others sit in another group. He looks really upset, and I don't blame him.
"I think I'll tell you now," he whispers.
"What?"
"Where I was, what happened, when I was hit with zombies for the first time."
"Cameron you don't have to," I place my hand on his.
"I need to. I need someone to tell me it's okay, that I didn't do anything wrong. Living with this guilt... it's..."
I look suspiciously at him. He takes a deep breath.
"We were leaving a show, and as we were leaving the building-"
"We?"
"Me and- and my brother."
I hold our gaze. His brother?
"We were running. One of them must have got into the crowds, because there was suddenly so many."
I can tell Cameron's really struggling to talk about this.
"We were running, all of them following, I- I- I tripped and fell forwards slightly, I stuck my leg out for balance and my brother he-"
Cameron takes another deep breath.
"He tripped over it and fell. I turned to help but, they already got him. They were eating him. I- had to run." He shakes his head, tears pouring down his face.
"He tripped over me. My stupid mistake killed him, and I got away. Please tell me it's okay. Tell me I couldn't have done anything."
I feel so shocked, I can't imagine the guilt Cameron feels, and what he carries around with him. The death of his brother hangs over him. I intertwine our fingers.
"Cameron it was not your fault. If you stuck out your leg on purpose it would be, there's nothing you could do. He's probably happier where he is than we are here."
Cameron nods and wipes his eyes. I pull him into a hug.
"Thank you for telling me," I whisper.

We've been here an hour, with no way to escape. It looks like we're going to die here. No one has said much. The sad abruptness of Taylor's death still hangs over all of us. Cameron's stayed in the corner, going through things in his mind.
Suddenly, I hear a few thumps and a click, then the doors start to open. I scramble to my feet, and some of the others do too. The doors open fully revealing...
"Violet?"