Chapter 7

I stand in front of the wall as Freddie takes out an old Polaroid camera he found in the main bedroom. He takes the picture and grabs it from the camera. Smiling happily, he waves it around, and I smile back at him.
"Can I have one of you?" I ask.
_____________________

I sit on the ground opposite my bed, reaching into my back pocket and pulling out the only possession I have left, apart from my clothes but I guess they don't count. I stare at the picture of Freddie sadly.
He told me to never stop fighting if he died. I promised him. I promised but every day it gets harder. A tear escapes my eye and falls onto the picture. He still has that picture of me on him somewhere, wherever he is now. I imagine him lying there, holding the bloodstained picture in his limp hand. I sigh and wipe the tears from my face with my sleeve. I hear a knock at the door, Taylor comes in.
"I think you'll want to see this. Cameron told me not to show you but... I think you should see it and um... Say goodbye."
I look up at him. Still holding the picture. He looks down at it gravely. They have Freddie.
I stand up, shaking slightly, and follow him down the hallway. We eventually reach some sort of medical facility. Taylor looks at me awkwardly before opening a door. I walk through, Taylor following behind. The main room is full of hospital beds, there are stations around with medical equipment and medicine. Taylor leads me past it all, through a doorway, and down a small corridor. He stops outside a big metal door. I watch as he leans in, switches the light on, then leans back and gestures for me to enter. Inside the room there's a cage, inside it I see Freddie, well, what's left of Freddie. He holds onto the bars and angrily growls at me.
"Oh my-" I whisper. I walk over to him, hearing the door shut behind me. He's hardly holding himself together, chunks of him are missing. Blood slowly trickles from his mouth and his wounds. He can just about stand. His eyes are an angry whiteish blue. He reaches out to me through the bars, grumbling and growling.
"Oh Freddie..."
I stroke his hand sadly. He tries to grip on to me. My eyes fill with tears.
"This should never have ever happened to you."
Something sticking out of his pocket catches my eye. I look down and see the photograph of me half poking out. I wipe the tears away.
"I'll always be with you." I whisper, I take a handgun out from my belt and hold it up to his head. He growls and howls at me. My forefinger lingers above the trigger, my hand shaking uncontrollably. I pull the gun down. I can't do it. I turn and walk out of the room, pulling the door shut behind me. I spot a load of shipping crates at the end of the corridor. I push them to the door and stack them in front of it.
"I'll come back when there's a cure Freddie." I call through the crates.
"I'll save you."