Chapter 40

We've been here a whole week. One whole week. Things have become really suspicious now. I avoid Susan and she avoids me. Every night their family go to the barn for "dinner" and don't come back for a while. Cameron and I spend most of our time in our room, doing nothing, running out of things to talk about, avoiding Freddie. Whenever I bring up the past he just, freezes. Since that day Susan and I had a fight, she's been feeding us loads, too much. There is always food.
Cameron and I are lying in bed together, sleeping in on yet another lazy Monday morning. I trace Cameron's jawline with my finger.
"Wake uuuuup," I whisper.
His eyes slowly open and focus on me. He smiles and yawns.
"Can you really need to shave," I laugh, "I think I just cut my finger on your face."
"Shut up," he mumbles rolling over. I laugh, roll out of bed, and get dressed.
"We're opening those doors today. We're finding out what's in there."
He looks up at me.
"Are you sure you want to do this?"
"Positive," I grin.
"Evelyn, before our... Relationship... Goes further, I need to tell you something."
I stop what I'm doing and turn to him.
"What is it?"
"Well- before this all-"
I hear Susan shuffling into the kitchen, talking to someone.
"I'm sorry Cam, can you tell me later?"
"I- yeah, sure."
I rush out of the door and lean over the banister to hear what's going on.
***
"I want her gone."
"Susan, you know our rule. No. Women. So put your petty arguments aside, and deal with it."
"How much longer until we use them?"
"I'll try tonight."
"Are you sure we can't get rid of the girl."
"No, she leaves alive or she stays. She's precious."
****
I back away from the banister. Use us? Tonight? Don't kill girls?
We need to see what's in that barn. Now. I rush into the room and Cameron's standing there in just his trousers, running his hands through his hair. He looks nervous.
"Cameron, we need to find a way-"
"Evelyn I need to tell you something. Now. I-"
"I'm sorry cam, could we pleease do this later? Something weird is going on."
He looks perplexed and sighs.
"We need to get into that barn."
He pulls on a white shirt and follows me down the stairs. I check in the kitchen, Susan and her husband are chatting. We sneak over to the barn and wander inside. Cameron jogs over to the metal doors and looks around them.
"There's nothing."
I stay beside the door with my gun, keeping watch.
"Keep looking."
I hear Cameron moving things around.
"For gods sake."
I jog over to Cameron and start searching around, I move some hay and see a control panel, just like at the gates.
"We need a damn password."
Cameron scratches his head.
"Let's think."
"What are you doing?"
We turn round in shock and see one of the guys, staring at us.
"we uh, looking."
"At what?"
"For my earring, I lost it."
"You won't find it."
"You're probably right."
We both run past him towards the house in panic.
"Oh my god." I pant as we reach the doors. We run upstairs and to our room.
"Oh my god."
I lie back on the bed.
"Evelyn, I need- to talk to you."
I sit up, "okay Cameron. What is it you need to say?"
He opens his mouth but closes it again.
"No, I'll uh...tell you some other time."

"WE'RE HAVING DINNER NOW. DO NOT DISTURB!"
I hear one of the guys shout up at us. I look at Cameron.
"This is our chance." I whisper to him.

We head over to the barn after waiting a while for them all to leave.
"So, no password. Maybe there's another way in."
I look up and see another level to the barn, accessible by a ladder at the left side of the barn. I look at Cameron who shakes his head. I rush to the ladder and climb up, crouching as I make my way around the top level, trying to find my way in. I spot a vent at the other side of the level. Yes. I speed up a little, staying crouched, making my way to the vent.
"Are you okay?" Asks Cameron.
"Yep."
My foot steps on a board and it falls down, my leg going with it.
"Shit," I scrabble at the boards, trying to climb up.
"I got you," I feel Cameron's hand beneath my foot as he pushes it up and back through the gap. I continue making my way over to the vent. It's screwed to the wall, but the screws look pretty loose. I unscrew them with my fingers as they are already sticking out a bit. I pull the vent cover off and stick my head inside. It's quite small, but I think I can fit.
"I'm in," I say to Cameron. I crawl along on my belly down the vent.  The further I go, the voices I hear voices get louder and louder, I crawl round a corner and see a light at the end of the tunnel. I crawl hurriedly to it and peer through the vent cover. I can see a room. I get right up close to it and look down into the room. I see everyone sitting round the table.   Eating. What? Wait a minute. At one end of the table are Susan and her family, but the other... Zombies, strapped to chairs. They are stuffing their faces into plates, on the plates are... Arms? Legs?? Oh my god. They've made stews bakes, and roasts out of HUMANS. Human body parts. I clamp a hand over my mouth, fighting the urge to be sick.
"Mother, please don't eat like that," Susan says to one of the zombies.
Oh dear lord.