Chapter 45

"Evelyn, wake up."
I look up at Finn sleepily. He holds his hand out.
"C'mon sis."
I grab his hand, letting him pull me up.
I tug a blanket away from the window and see we're at some kind of abandoned school. It looks really fancy, like hogwarts.
"What's happening?"
"We need to stop, rest, see if there are any supplies," replies violet, jumping out of the bus. I look at Finn before following her.
Abandoned schools scare me, this one is especially creepy.
Grace and Alex jump out of the bus and look around wide eyed, I guess it must be weird to be back at a school.
"I came here for a hockey match once..." Mutters Grace sadly.
I look back at the school.
"Violet, I'm not sure about this place-"
"I've been hiding out here a while, it's safe."
I glance at Cameron who lingers at the back, his hands in his pockets, avoiding eye contact with me.
We make our way to one of the buildings and Violet leads us in, it's a huge grand dining room. There are beds set up against the far side.
"Make yourselves comfortable," says violet, gesturing to the beds. I bring in one of the bags from the bus and place it down next to one of the "beds", which are mattresses on the floor with some sheets. Cameron plonks himself down on the bed beside me, Freddie on the other side. It's almost dark outside already, and everyone is exhausted. I slide under the sheets, facing Cameron. He does the same, facing me. I kick off my boots and pull my shirt off, because I've been wearing the same one for ages. Cameron shuts his eyes as his breathing steadies. I close my eyes then open one to look at Cameron. He's already asleep. Relationships don't mean much in a zombie apocalypse, but they mean a lot to the people who have them, even though we hardly ever kissed or showed affection, that's probably because we're always on edge. We could die any minute. I notice Cameron's shirt on the floor, he must be freezing. It is really cold. I shiver slightly, my teeth chattering. It's actually really really cold. I consider putting my manky shirt back on. I wonder if Cameron thinks I still love Freddie? Do I still love Freddie? I look over to him, he's facing away from me so I turn back to Cameron. He looks so sweet and cosy and warm. How is he warm? I try to warm up by rubbing my arms but it's not working. My teeth are chattering really loudly. Shut up teeth. Please.
Cameron's eyes slowly open so I look away quickly. I glance back and he's still staring at me.
"Are you cold?" He whispers. I nod slightly and he holds out his arms.
"For warmth," he whispers, "it's survival."
"Yeah, I get it."
I shuffle off mattress and manage to shuffle onto Cameron's. He wraps his strong warm arms around me, he gasps slightly when my stone cold skin touches his.
"You're not wearing a shirt?" He chuckles quietly.
"No," I laugh quietly.
"Well I didn't know, you had a sheet around you." He whispers back. I shrug and grin, burying my head into the crook of his neck.
"You're freezing," he mutters into my hair.
"You're warm," I whisper back.
He chuckles quietly.
"I must be warm blooded."
I nod into his chest. I feel his hand at the back of my head, he slowly pulls my hairband out causing my messy curly hair to fall down my bare back. He snuggles into my hair.
I feel so safe and warm in his arms.

Light floods in from the huge windows at the side of the room, this coupled with the morning bird song wakes me up, Cameron's already awake, he sits up and pulls the sheet with him.
"Cameron!"
I pull the sheet back, trying to cover myself.
"Sorry," he yawns. I sit up next to him. Finn, Violet, Nash and Matt emerge from the door, talking. They all stop and look at me and Cameron, he's shirtless, sitting up next to me, and as they can see my bare shoulders they can tell that I am too. I pull the sheet up higher, trying to cover myself. Violet raises her eyebrows at us and they carry on. I shake my head and lean over to my mattress to grab my sheet, I wrap it around myself and dig around in my bag, finding clean underwear, camo pants and little white top.
"Cameron," I whisper. He looks at me sleepily.
"Can you hold a sheet around me while I change?"
"Why?"
"I don't want to leave the room, its probably even colder outside. He stands up in just his trousers with a sheet, holding it up, his hair is all messy. I stand up, he holds the sheet around me while I change. I finish and he lets the sheet drop.
"Thanks."
He nods and sits back down on his bed. I turn my head and see Grace and Alex watching us. I smile awkwardly at them and wave. They look away, embarrassed.
"Cameron-" I begin to say, about to give a huge speech about how he makes me happy, how all I want is him, how I love him, but I think I'll wait.
He looks at me sleepily, his hair a complete mess and his face drowsy with sleep. I shake my head and smile.
"Never mind."