Chapter 2

Nobody wants to die. They can say that they aren't scared and they can believe it, but inside nobody wants to die. It's the instinct of the brain to stay alive. As a human you do everything to prevent it. Surviving a zombie apocalypse, it's either luck or skills. But everyone dies. Eventually.
________________________
"Come on! We'll be late."
"I'm coming!"
I drag my suitcase out of the door and lug it down the path leading out of my front garden.
Freddie picks up my heavy suitcase and throws it into the open boot, I run up to my parents and give them both massive hugs.
"I'll see you guys soon okay?"
"We'll miss you honey, be safe." Smiles my mother. I grin at her happily, then jog back over to Freddie who's waiting by the car.
"We can go now?"
"Yep."

I get in the front and Freddie slides into the drivers seat next to me. I check the back seat, Alesha, Matt and Geordie sit there smiling. I grin at them then twist back, facing forward.
We drive to the airport, it's only about 20 minutes away, we've lived in our house for so many years that I no longer notice the loud grumbling noise of planes flying overhead, leaving the airport and heading to new and exciting places. After checking in and getting our bearings, we go through customs, sitting in the waiting area on the other side of the airport, anxiously awaiting the announcement for our flight.

"There was a disturbance in Trafalgar Square yesterday after members of the public were attacked and bitten by a ravenous individual. Those victims were emitted to hospital later that day."

The news lady continues to talk on the massive TV hanging from the wall in front of us. I turn to Freddie.
"There's a cannibal in Trafalgar Square?"
"I wouldn't call him a cannibal," replies Freddie, "more of a zombie."
I laugh at him.
"That's ridiculous, zombies aren't real."
"How do you know?" he says mysteriously. He starts wiggling his fingers at me and groaning loudly. I giggle and bat his hands away.
"Flight 174789 to California, America is now boarding from gate 6."
"That's us," smiles Freddie, slapping his hands on thighs and standing up. We all get up after him and hurry to the gate together.

I put my earphones in and try to get some sleep on the plane, but someone behind me won't stop coughing. I yank my earphones out in frustration. The coughing person is talking to someone between wheezes, "I was there!"
"You were there in Trafalgar Square? When that crazy guy was biting people?"
"Yeah, I ran away though. It was scary."
I push myself up in my seat to try and hear more of what they're saying. The guy goes on about how this cannibal was pulling people to the ground and ripping them up with his teeth. But he's probably just looking for attention. I put my earphones back in and rest my head on Freddie's shoulder. He kisses my head and snakes his arm around me.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are now landing in California, please fasten your seatbelts as we are about to begin descent."
The captain's voice fills the airplane as he announces we are landing, finally.