Chapter 60

"CAMERON!"
Cameron looks over to me.
"HELP HIM, PLEASE!" I scream, shooting at the zombies approaching us. Cameron looks around, his face going white when he sees who it is.
"FREDDIE COVER ME!"
I move backwards as Freddie moves forwards. I hear a gunshot and see a zombie fall to the ground. Cameron rushes to the body. I turn to Nash, standing at the back shooting. He gives me a sympathetic look then continues to shoot. I run to Finn, who's still on the ground screaming. I grab his leg and Cameron grabs the other. We drag him outside onto the hard concrete ground.
"COME ON," I scream, Nash and Freddie run out after us and shut the broken doors behind them. They get behind a broken car and push it so it blocks the door.
I collapse on my knees next to Finn.
His breathing becomes raspy. I can hear a whistling noise every time he exhales. I press my hands on his stomach, trying my best to put pressure on the gaping wound and slow the bleeding.
"Eeevelyn," he wheezes.
"I'm trying to- I'm help," I shake as I cry. My tears falling from my cheeks and breaking as they hit Finns chest. My mouth not making the words.
"Evelyn," he repeats.
"Yes?" I whimper in reply.
"You need to get home. Find mum and dad, please. I don't want to make this a last few minutes cheesy talk but I mean it. My dying wish. Survive, find your way home."
I'm now crying too hard to even whimper in reply. I lay my head on my hands that are still pressed on his wound and cry.
"Nononononononono," I whimper.
"I love you lil sis," he manages to make out, smiling.
"I love you too big bro," I whisper managing to smile a bit, sniffing and hiccuping in sadness. Freddie rushes over and kneels down next to Finn, opposite me.
"Oh god," I murmurs. He looks up at me and I realise, he will be the only one left from my old life. From when things were normal. The only person I knew before all this. My stomach makes a noise and I stand up, clutching it.
"Excuse me," I gasp. I run behind a car and throw up on the ground. Coughing and spluttering. I step back in shock. Am I ill? Worse, am I turning? Whatever, I can't deal with this now. I run back to Finn who's eyes are now half closed.
"Nono stay awake."
"Ew your breath stinks," Finn grins sleepily. I smile as more tears roll down my cheeks. I grab his hand and kiss it.
"I'm going to miss you so much."
He snorts and winces in pain.
"I love you..." his eyes shut and his breathing slows, coming to a stop, his body jerks occasionally, his mortum reflexes kicking in. I sit back on my heels and cover my mouth, gasping and crying into my hand. Cameron wraps his arm around me and pulls me close.
"What are we going to do?" he whispers in my ear.
"Bury him."
"You know what I mean."
I pull back and look at Cameron, confused, my stomach beginning to churn again.
"We don't know if he died of loss of blood, or if he's turning."
I look at Finn, he lies there, peaceful.
"You want to blow his brains out?" I ask through gritted teeth.
"No. I'm asking what you want."
I shake my head.
"I don't know, give me a minute."
Cameron nods, he takes Freddie and Nash with him, leaving me alone with Finn.
I bury my face in my hands again.
Suddenly, someone wraps their hand around my wrist and very gently pulls, moaning quietly. I open my eyes and see Finns face right in front of mine, blood dripping from his mouth, his eyes white and crazed. The virus is getting worse, people are turning almost instantly now.
"CAMERON?! Freddie?" I screech. Where did they go? On impulse I grab my gun, pushing it to the side of Finns head, I pull the trigger and fire. He falls back down to the ground. Cameron finally reaches me. He looks down at Finn's remains.
He nods at me and walks over to a grassy patch a few metres away. He gets to work digging a hole with his hands, he's joined by Nash, they lengthen the hole and start throwing mud at a fast rate.
Freddie kneels down beside me and Finn.
"He was a great guy," he says distantly, "part of a great family."
I look down at him through tears and sniff.
"He thought the world of you Evelyn," Freddie picks up my hand and holds it in between both of his, "all he cared about was you. I promised him I would protect you if something happened to him, and I will."
I nod and take a deep breath.
"Thank you," I whisper.
There's an awkward silence. Freddie is still holding my hand tightly, looking right into my eyes. I get a nostalgic feeling, his touch his so familiar. I've felt so far away from him the past few weeks, but now we're in this position, it feels natural.
"Eve I..." he looks down at Finn awkwardly, then stands up, pulling me up with him. He leads away from Finn's body then stops, still holding onto my hand.
"I know this isn't the best time, but I really just want to say something."
He's right. It's not a great time, but I don't see any other times in the future where we'd be able to have a private talk again without something or someone interrupting. This talk is long due, I knew it was coming.
"I know that it looks like I haven't been trying," Freddie sighs, "seeing you with Cameron, being with Cameron like you used to be with me," he chuckles and shakes his head.
"Well it's a lot harder than you'd ever imagine."
He takes a deep breath.
"I wanted you to have your space. If you want to be with Cameron then I get it, I don't like it, but I get it," his eyes are still gazing right into mine. Freddie never shied away from eye contact, he never had to, it was never awkward with him.
"I'll stay back, but I want you to know that I still care about you."
I hold his gaze for a few seconds, then, keeping eye contact with him, I pull my necklace with his ring on it out from under my shirt. I roll the ring around in between my fingers.
"Thank you," I whisper, before pulling away and walking back over to Finn's body.

A little while later, I see Freddie walk past me and join the others, digging my brother's grave. My stomach groans and I clutch it in pain. I shake my head and take a deep breath.
"This is it," I whisper down to Finn, "this is goodbye."
I close his eyes gently, then shift his body so he lies straight.
A little while later I hear Nash shouting that the grave is ready. Cameron jogs over and helps me pick up Finn. We carry him over and place him in the grave. Everyone says a few words, expressing how much we'll miss him. When we are all finished, Cameron and Freddie start pushing dirt back on top of his body. I wish we had done this for Matt, and everyone else who had died. They all deserved to at least be buried.
"Goodbye Finn."