25

Birds chirping outside my window is what woke me up, the windows were open letting in a cool breeze of air. It took me a while to realize that I wasn't the one who opened the window. Wondering if Jasmine was already here I made my way downstairs to find a older woman making breakfast for an army.

"I'm sure this is ten times better than some truck stop meal."

Perplexed, I sat on the kitchen counter opposite the cook and looked upon this woman who might know to much for my liking.

"When a young woman came to me after your departure and asked me to be your so called den mother, I declined but then realized this is the perfect opportunity to return the overwhelming tip you left me."

"It's nice to know that you took the offer Tammy." I said smiling

"Oh sweetheart I didn't accept the offer. Helping someone in need is reward enough. Now get off that counter and come eat some food, you look like you've been through hell." Tammy set out a plate filled with pancakes, hash browns and bacon out for me as she poured me a class of mango juice.

"So what did Amy say to you?"

"I'll tell you once you start eating."

"I'll begin to eat once you serve yourself and join me."

Tammy gave me her modest smile before turning around to serve herself a plate and came to sit across from me.

"Anytime you are ready Ms. Tammy." I began to cut into pancakes as she poured syrup on hers.

"Well if you must know, Amy came to me with an offer most people cannot refuse. But she needed all my discretion, that's when I knew that you needed more help than you think you need. I didn't accept her payment, I just asked her for the address and she told me that we would be accompanied by you cousin later today. So now may I ask what kind of trouble are you in?"

"I'm not some runaway teen and I'm not in any trouble with the law if that's what your asking."

"Your actions tell me otherwise love."

Tammy's remark made me stop and look at her. Her look said she was being honest and meant no harm. I pushed my plate away and looked down to think of how to respond to her.

"I don't know how I got here. I have no real friends, the only people I can actually talk to is my cousin and my horses, and that in itself should tell you my situation. Ever since my father left my family its been hard for me because I was a big daddy's girl, so I tired to find someone to take his place. My uncle didn't even hesitate to step in where my father left. Everything started after he saw how smart I was in school, he would push me to join after school activities. Soon summer came around and I thought he would let me take a break from everything but I was wrong. He just kept putting me in more things and me being the way I was, I saw him as a father figure and I didn't want to disappoint him so I plastered a smile on my face and did it all."

"Sweetheart no person should be put through that kind of stress. Its inhumane."

"Ms. Tammy you make me sound like some kind of animal." I smiled as I took a bite out of my pancakes.

"Well dear it sounds like you were being pushed around like you were one."

I stopped and looked at her. Her concerned look made me feel warm inside. The only other people who look at me like that is Jasmine and Amy. Now I have Tammy.

*KNOCK KNOCK ON THE FRONT DOOR*