Chapter Two- The Transformation

Start from the beginning

Dufroq Elementary School was located in our neighborhood. I walked the twins to school everyday for their safety. If anything were to happen to them, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. The Cadillac Escalade pulled up to the front entrance. I could see people heads turning to see what drug dealer was pulling up.

Ben came around and let me out the back. "You didn't have to do that?" I told Ben getting out. "Caden get use to it, because this is how you rolling now." I blinked looking confused. I walked into the school and on the left was the office. It wasn't as nice as my old school, but I had to work with what I had.

Ms. Jackson was in the front office still peeking out the side window. These were some nosey bitches up in here. I couldn't wait to remove the girls from here. "May I help you, Miss?" I knew she knew my name. My sisters were the smartest ones here. They were in the gifted program.

I played it off. "Yes, I'm here to pick up Olivia and Ashley Montgomery." I said with a little annoyance in my tone.

"I need to see some identification please."

Was this woman crazy? It was me the person who walked these girls to school everyday. Ms. Jackson it's me, Cadence Montgomery," I said pulling out my driver's license.

"Oh you look so difference with your hair and clothes, plus when did you get a personal driver?"

"Thank you for the compliment. Now could you please get the girls out of aftercare? Thank you very much." I was really starting to lose my patients with this old ass nosey wannabe woman.

As I was checking them out, Principal Jones, a tall dark skinned man came to the front. He asked me to step inside his office. I followed and he offered me a seat.

"Is is true that Ashley and Olivia will not be joining us for the rest of the school year? It just seems with less than a month of school left that you want to transfer the girls. They are doing quite well that this is a total surprise." He asked confused.

I knew he needed the girls for his numbers for the end of the school year. I turned my direction towards him. "We are moving so the school is too far away." I took a deep breath.

He looked at me with narrow eyes. "I see they will be homeschooled and that seems a little odd to me. Most of the students here are at the poverty level and homeschooling can be quite expensive. I don't think no one from this school gifted or otherwise have been homeschooled."

My blood pressure was boiling. How dare he try to judge me and my financial situation?

"Well I have a new job and will be traveling some, so i'm able to afford to make sure they get the best education as possible. They won't have to worry about people calling them names or trying to beat them up on a daily bases. They can have a piece of mind not worrying under undo stress." He went to open his mouth and shut it. "Now if you will excuse me, I need their school files and I will be taking the twins with me." I stood up shook his hand and got the fuck out.

Waiting at the front office were the twins. They were smiling probably happy to be leaving early. "Is it true, we aren't coming back to this ratchet school, Olivia asked with a big smile on her face.

They both looked at me. "Cad you look gorgeous. The dress is banging. Can we get some new clothes too?"

I smiled at both of them. "Yep! Now let's go!" I didn't mean to shout but I was so excited.

"Wait Cad, do you promise, we never have to come back here?" Ashley said. They both looked at me with the sweetest eyes. How could my mother kill herself? She had awesome children and to bad she would never get to see them blossom. I nodded my head.

We walked out the school and Ben jumped out and opened the back door.

"Who is that?" the twins said in unison. Before I opened my mouth, Ben introduced himself as our driver. The twins looked shocked but jumped in the backseat. My sisters looked at me still trying to figure what was going on. I could see the questions forming in their head. Their lives were about to be turned upside down. I was doing this for them. I know I made a deal that my ass would have to cash. I guess I didn't ask for much. Lilly seemed a little desperate to agree to my terms. I asked for excellent schooling for the twins, a house, car, credit card and money in the bank. As soon as I signed on the dotted line, Lilly got on the phone and started making things happen.

Looking out the window, I thought about my meeting with Lilly. After the phone calls she pulled keys out of her desk drawer for a four bedroom house, keys to a 2011 Lexus, credit card with $25,000 and a check made out to me for $10,000. I had never seen so many zeroes in my life. I didn't even have a bank account. I signed my w-2 with Monroe Enterprises as a contract employee and she made the agreement binding.

"This will get you started, your training offically starts tomorrow. I am the BOSS, understand that, and don't try to undermine me. We are all family. The debt you accrue will be paid back in full. The next couple of jobs you do will make up for the check that I just gave you. The house is yours, as a gift from me too you."

Ben drove up to a beautiful two story house. "Welcome home ladies!" Ben said from the front seat.

We got out and I opened the door. The house was fully furnished. Ben came in a gave us the tour. He whispered that Ms. Lilly had several homes throughout the city and this was one of her nicest. I believed him. The house was gorgeous. Four bedrooms and three bathrooms. All the bedrooms were upstairs and the girls had their own bedrooms with a shared bath. The girls were screaming their excitement throughout the house.

Each of the girl bedrooms were completely different and suited one another. "OMG, Cad! These rooms are awesome. We each have a Mac computer with big screens attached. We have closets full of name brand clothes, how are you able to afford this? Oh, Lord please don't tell me me you selling drugs? If you get caught Cad where would we go?" Ashley said with tears in her eyes.

Ashley was medium brown with light brown eyes. She was the most emotionally person I knew. Her hair was long and her petite body made her look older than her twelve years. I reached for her and held her.

"I'm not selling drugs. My boss is letting us stay here until I can afford something else. But in the meantime let's enjoy this okay. I only want the best for you two. We have been through so much and we deserve to live a little okay. Have you seen the pool in the back? You two can go swimming if you want." Ashley hugged me back and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I just hoped this worked out.

We settled in and my cell rang. It was Lilly.

"How is the house and the girls? Is the house big enough?"

I smiled. The house was five times bigger than my old house. "Yes! Everything is perfect, thanks again."

"No problem Cadence. The teacher should be there around nine am. Ben will come around nine-thirty to pick you up. There are people I want you the meet. We need to get your wardrobe in order and a few other things. I will meet you in the morning after my meeting. Have a good night Cadence."

I hung up the phone and cooked dinner. The refrigerator was fully stocked. We had strawberry salads, with meatloaf, mash potatoes with gravy, green beans and peach cobbler. The girls thanked me for dinner and went to bed. They had been in the pool since we got there until dinner was ready. It felt good to get out of the hood and somewhere we could call home.

*Don't forget to tell me what you think, vote, comment, and fan.**