Manwik

When Sarah, and Syric arrived in the small town, Syric lead them to the nearest inn, and order two separate rooms. The rooms weren't as nice as the castle's in the city Al'Halonii, but they were decent. She didn't much care anyways. Ever since her conversation with Syric two days ago, she hasn't been much for talking. She had felt extremely guilty the first day, then all day yesterday, and today she just simply missed Jareth. She wanted to ride back to the castle, and free him, but she couldn't do that without the assassin.

She would start first thing in the morning, and she would bring him back.

                                  ***

Sarah woke the next morning, the air biting at her nose as she felt the cool, late autumn air soak in. She shivered, and threw a thick, wool dress on, finishing the outfit with a dark brown cape. She met Syric outside, and he was dressed warmer as well.

He nodded when she stopped next to him. "The bartender says he's seen Wessin here, but he's been keeping a very low profile. We are going to go around the town, and start asking questions. I will search the blacksmiths, and butchers, you take the tavern, and town hall. Meet me in the square at midday."

Sarah nodded, and turned to leave. A hand caught her arm, and she looked up at Syric.

"Be careful, Sarah. If you find him, I do not want you to confront him alone. You come and get me, do you understand? He's a dangerous man, and if he suspects you, he will not hesitate to kill you." He warned.

Sarah nodded, and he let go of her arm.

They both left the inn, and Sarah decided to go to the town hall first since it was closer. She searched the faces, trying to find the man that matched Syric's description. Though he was taller than her, Wessin was shorter for their kind. He always wore dark robes, similar to Ijat's, and he had black, and white streaked hair. There was also a tattoo on his wrist with a symbol that Sarah did not recognize. Syric explained that it was the Omneqi's symbol. He drew a picture of it, and gave it to her. He also told her that Wessin's weapon of choice was a dagger, that he was the best at handling them, and that he would most likely have a dozen of them on his person.

'And one more thing,' He had said. 'He has a nasty scar across his face, so he will most likely have a mask on.'

Sarah waded through the groups of people. She searched, looking for the assassin with no luck. When she was done there, she searched amongst the townspeople as she made her way to the tavern. It was almost noon, and there were already men outside heaving their guts out. Sarah gagged, and pushed the tavern door open. When she walked in, the bartender looked at her and smiled. He was an older looking man, with bright green eyes, and white/blonde hair.

"Welcome." He greeted.

Sarah decided to start with him, then work her way around the bar.

"What can I do for you, little lady?" He gave her a small smile.

Sarah leaned against the bar, and had to shout over the noise of the music, and voices.

"I'm looking for someone." She stated.

His eyebrows rose. "Oh?"

"He's an assassin, perhaps you've heard of him." She said carefully.

His eyes narrowed, as he eyed her skeptically. "I know a lot of assassin's, love. What's his name?"

"His name is Wessin Fieall."

The whole tavern went quite, as a dagger whistled through the air, embedded itself into the counter top next to Sarah's hand. Sarah gasped, and jumped away. She looked at the bartender, and he was looking past her with wide eyes.

"Who's asking?" A man called from behind Sarah. She shivered at the sound of his extremely deep voice.

Slowly, she turned herself around, and spotted the assassin standing by the blazing fireplace, another dagger ready in his hand. His eyes became slits, as he studied her quizzically. The scar on his face stood up above his skin, and his black and white streaked hair hung just above his eyes, and jagged points everywhere else.

Sarah gulped, and forced herself to stand up straight. "My name is Sarah W-" She reminded herself that that wasn't her last name anymore. "Sarah Duheran."

His eyes widened slightly, and she saw a small smirk playing at his lips. He walked up next to her, and even though he was short, he was still almost a whole head taller than she was. He grabbed her arm, and began to lead her out of the tavern. Once we were outside, he spoke first.

"I didn't know King Paite had a daughter." He said lightly, as he smiled at the passerby's.

"Daughter-in-law." She corrected.

He frowned at her, confused. "A what?"

She sighed. "I married his son. I'm not his daughter by blood."

He nodded. "I see. And what does the wife of a traitor want with a ruthless assassin?"

She grabbed him, pulling him to a halt. "You know very well why I'm here. And you know that Jareth isn't a traitor." She spat.

He smiled. "Oh, you mean the exiled one? I thought you meant the brat of a king sitting on the throne." He continued walking. "What of him?"

Sarah caught up to him. "You know that the king exiled him because of what you did."

He suddenly stopped again, and Sarah almost crashed into him. His eyes were pools of fury.

He pointed his finger at her. "I did what I did because they forced me too. I had no choice." He stormed off back behind the row of houses, and into the woods. Sarah ran after him, calling his name.

"Wait! Please!"

She finally caught up to him, and kept up with his stride.

"I know that they forced you. All I want is your help." She asked, determined.

He turned, stopping. Sarah realized that they had gone pretty far into the woods at this point.

He frowned. "You want me to go to the king don't you? To beg him to free your husband? I won't do it." He started walking again, and she grabbed his arm.

"Please! Please, I'll do anything, just please help him, the king is going to have him killed." She begged.

He looked down at her, contemplating something. He frowned, then his eyes widened. He walked away, hunching over, thinking to himself before he turned back to her.

"Anything?" He questioned, raising an eye brow.

Sarah hesitated, before nodding. "Anything."

He smiled, and Sarah knew she had made the wrong decision.

                                ***

*gasps* what did Sarah get herself into? You'll just have to wait and see.