Resistance

Ok, so, I'm very close to the end, and I want to try and get through the rest of this book as fast as I can(try). No guarantees. But I'm going to work on it. So here's another chapter for you, my lovelies:)

***

"Ijat is the kings captain." Ailos explained.

Sarah nodded. "So, how do you know all this?"

Ijat circled Sarah. "Because I was the one to kill him."

Sarah backed away from him. "Why?" She shot, angrily.

He stopped, his face serious. "The king, Elron, commanded me to."

Sarah gasped. "He told you to kill the king?"

He nodded. "I hired an assassin, and I was forced to swear, under pain of death, not tell a soul, so that they couldn't trace it back to the king. He marked me with scryl of silence." He pulled back his sleeve, revealing a strange symbol on his skin.

Sarah brushed her fingers over it, curiously. "Well, if you were forced to not tell a soul, how are you telling me now?"

Ailos walked up next to Sarah. "Elron's magic is strong, but not stronger than mine." He gave her a small smile.

Sarah nodded, understanding. She backed away, taking it all in. She looked back up at them, and they were looking at her, as if gaging her reaction.

"What are we going to do now?"

Ailos spoke first.

"There is a large number of us who know what the king did. Very powerful people on the council, but not strong enough to overthrow the king. Elron has many powerful friends himself, and will strike down anyone who tries to defy him." His voiced dropped. "We have lost many good and faithful people because of what they knew."

"So, what does this have to do with me?" Sarah was beyond confused at this point.

"Elron feels threatened by Jareth." Ijat said.

"Threatened? Why?"

Ailos and Ijat both exchanged glances. Ailos frowned at her as if she was missing the point.

"You don't know?" He asked.

"Know what?"

Ijat looked at Ailos, then at Sarah. "Jareth is the eldest son of King Paite, and as eldest, he is heir to the thrown."

Sarah mentally slapped herself. She remembered her conversation with Jareth, how he had told that he was the oldest, but she didn't connect the dots then.

"So, Elron framed Jareth to steal the crown?"

Ailos nodded. "And, if not for Jareth marrying you, the king would have already had him executed."

Sarah shuddered. "So he did that to save his own skin?"

Ailos suddenly chuckled. "No Sarah. Jareth does not fear his own life. He did it to save yours."

A wave of regret washed over Sarah as she realized how selfish she had been.

"If Jareth hadn't of done what he did, the king would have killed you both. The only reason Elron hasn't killed either of you is because he knows his people would revolt against him. He's doing it to keep his reputation." Ijat explained.

Sarah eyes widened when she remembered the other night when she had been dining with the king and queen. "He wants me to condemn Jareth. He wants me to kill him."

Ailos nodded. "That's the only reason you are alive. He doesn't want to get his hands dirty, so he's trying to convince you to kill Jareth for him. You must be careful Sarah. If the king finds out that you know, he will kill you and Jareth."

Sarah shuddered again, and nodded. "I understand. What do you need me to do?"

Ailos put a hand on his shoulder. "You are going to find the assassin, and present him before the court."

"Why do I have to do it?" Sarah asked, frowning.

Ijat chuckled. "He is not your average assassin. After he killed the king, he went into hiding. We don't know exactly where he is, but he has been spotted in Manwik. Every time one of us has tried to approach him, he has refused us. We need a new angle."

"And I'm your new angle?"

Ijat walked up to Sarah, and she had to crane her neck to look up at him.

"The assassin may be ruthless, but he does have a weak spot for young, beautiful women." Ijat winked at her.

Sarah gaped at both Ailos, and Ijat. "So, you want me to seduce him?"

Ailos nodded.

Sarah stalked away from them, and paced the floor.

"Sarah, we have no other options, and without him, we cannot set Jareth free." Ijat reasoned.

Sarah stopped. "What if it doesn't work?"

"Then at least we know that we did everything we could." Ailos said sternly.

There was a silence, and Sarah stared at the floor boards, thinking. After a long moment, Sarah looked back up at them.

"Alright. I'll do it."

***

Sarah came around the corner to the jail cell, and sighed in relief when the same guard stood watch. He spotted her, and groaned in frustration.

Sarah stopped in front of him. "I'm guessing that there is no need to explain my reasons to you?"

He rolled his eyes, and ground his teeth. He stepped aside, and unlocked the door.

He opened his mouth to say something, but Sarah cut him off.

"Five minutes. I know. I only need two." Sarah said confidently.

Jareth stood, and when the door shut behind her, she ran to him, and threw herself into his arms. He stumbled back in surprise, but then wrapped his arms around her.

He pulled back enough to look at her. "If the king sees you here, Sarah he will kill you."

Sarah shook her head. "I know, and he won't. Jareth, I don't have much time to explain, so I'm going to give it to you briefly. I know you didn't kill your father. Your brother framed you. A member of the resistance against Elron told me, and he also told me that there is a way I can free you."

Jareth frowned. "How can prove that?"

"That's what I came here to tell you. Ijat, the captain of the guard told me that he was forced to hire an assassin to kill your father. I am leaving tomorrow to bring him back to testify against the king."

"Ijat?" He spat. "Why would he want to help me?"

"He only did what he did to keep himself a secret. Jareth, the king wants me to sentence you to death. He has been manipulating me from the beginning." She stroked the side if his face. "Jareth, I know what you did. I know why you married me. And I want to say that I'm sorry for what I said to you, I know you were only trying to protect me-"

"Shhhhh" He hugged her tightly. "Sarah, you didn't know. Its not your fault." He pulled back, and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear, a sad look in his eyes. "Please be careful." He whispered.

Sarah nodded. "I will."

He leaned in, and gently kissed her lips, and she kissed him back. They sat there, their foreheads touching for just a moment, then Sarah walked out of the cell, and down the hall towards her room.