The Calm Before The Storm

For many nights Qays and Layla meet together in this way, speaking of their lives and gaining a deeper understanding of one another. Qays learned of Layla’s father and his protective ways, he learnt of the happy childhood memories, of picnics in the mountains with family, of traditional dinners and feasts. Qays traveled with Layla as she recalled her memories, happy and sad, he laughed with her and cried with her.

At the same time Layla learned of Qays and his life, of the privileges he had and still has, of the arrogance ingrained within him. Layla learned of the pains felt by Qays when he learned and saw his own depravity, she learned his reasons for travel and his need to learn, to find himself and to leave behind the life he once had and that is his inheritance. Layla offered her support and love to Qays, she was unafraid to condemn and unafraid to approve.

For many nights Qays and Layla talked, they learned of each other and their love was solidified. Every night Qays asked Layla to sing for him, and every night at the time of separation Qays recited a poem for his beloved. Both Layla and Qays were curious to see one another but it was never meant to be, Layla’s father never let her outside the walls of her prison and Qays was never able to gain entry through a doorway or from climbing the walls that were tall and smooth.

One day a traveler found Qays and gave to him a letter from his father informing him of the death of his mother. Distraught and grief stricken Qays waited in pain for night to reach him so he could speak to his beloved and inform her of his departure. That night when Layla greeted Qays, he told her of his recent pain through the use of his poetry.

Oh beloved

I thought the cause of pain could only be my distance from you

But my thoughts were wrong

Beloved how am I to cope

She who birthed me, who raised me and loved me, is no more

Now I must depart and leave you beloved and the thought intensifies the pain

Beloved I must leave you in your prison and enter my own

With no release date, what am I to do?

The tears of Qays and Layla dominated that night as they bid each other farewell. Neither of them knew when they would once again be together and this pain caused silence. That night was the last that Qays and Layla spoke together, the last night that they were together in secret without the knowledge of those who were against their union. That nigh Qays left to attend the funeral of his mother and Layla stayed silent in mourning, neither speaking or singing, silenced by her depression.