Communications

Qays’ song was answered by the silence, for seconds that lasted longer than years Qays stood behind the wall of Layla’s home.

Waiting………………

Waiting……………..

Waiting…………….

For a reply, a sound, a sign.

-----------------

On the other side of the wall Layla stood supported by the wall, eyes closed, the breeze washing her face as the words spoken by the faceless stranger revolved around her, within her, consuming her. Her fear was replaced by an eerie peace, she opened her mouth and spoke to the stranger that she had sensed on the streets for many nights.

“Who are you that comes within my time of peace and sets my heart to flame through soft spoken words?”

Qays was overwhelmed, his angel had spoken to him with a voice so pure it burned within him, echoed through the world, became a part of him.

“It is I who must ask you lovely angel, who are you and what is this magic that you have weaved on me? Do you exist within this realm or are you an Angel sent to torture me with your voice? Are you immortal, a Goddess? Take this pain away from me, let me gaze upon your light!”

Layla smiled at these words, used to flatter and compliment, she answered the stranger with another question, just as he had done. In a flirtatious tone she speaks,

“You speak like a crazy man, are you majnun or just drunk?”

 From the other side of the wall a deep rumble began as Qays heard the wit of his Angel, through his laughter he answered her question in such a manner,

“Angel, I am neither drunk or crazy in the sense that you mean, though I have become crazy with obsession of you.” With the sudden absence of his deep rumble he asked Layla, “Will you not tell me your name? Mine is Qays ibn al-Mullawah, I am a prince of Arab and I travel seeking knowledge of the world, I seek cognition”

In hearing this Layla answered Qays with her name and background, telling him of her imprisonment and learning. Till the early hours of the morning Qays and Layla sat talking, both on different sides of a wall, learning of the others history, likes, dislikes, beliefs.

When the light of dawn became perceivable through the sky Layla stood and said,

“You have stolen my night Qays, if  I am found out here alone speaking to a wall which answers back I will be looked up within my own home. I must return to my room.”

As Layla started to gather her skirts to return to her room Qays asked if they would meet again, behind the wall, and speak.

“I come here every night Prince, when you hear me sing know that I am alone and we may converse then. For now goodbye.”

“Goodbye sweet Angel may we speak again soon.”

With their farewell Layla returned to her room to rest and wonder at her meeting and Qays wondered the streets of the village in wonderment of his discoveries that night.

A/N

Please comment if you like or if you don’t, criticism is also welcome. Thanks.