Who Were They?

The story is set in a time long past, in a society long dead. It is set in the heart of Mecca long before the Islamic revelation, this story starts with the birth of a prince and a noble woman. One in Arabia and the other in Iran. 

Majnun

 Majnun was born into royalty. He was made to feel powerful, he was made arrogant, selfish, rude.... He was a prince in the true sense of the word. Majnun was born Qays ibn al-Mullawah and for most of his life that was his name. Tall and powerful in his stance, with black hair, eyes so dark they looked black and golden brown skin Qays was admired by many. Qays was taught by the best scholars of his time.

Scientists taught him how the world worked, how humanity survived and the secrets of the earth.

Mathematicians taught him sharpness of thought, they taught him to solve problems using numbers and formulas.

Sufis taught Qays the art of poetry, discipline, love, compassion. They taught Qays to write the inner secrets of his heart and to attain unity with the world around him.

The Shaman of his tribe taught him to use the stars, moon and sun to guide him through the sandy dunes of the sahara and to see the future.

Qays learned his lessons well and was a golden boy, he travelled the world and learned various languages, cultures and arts. It was in his travels that he became acquainted with humility and modesty, this came in the form of Layla.   

Layla

Layla al-Aamiriya was born a nobleman’s daughter, as a child she was sweet and kind, compassionate and beautiful. These characteristics only increased with the passage of time. As she grew, praise of her beauty became more widespread and tales of her good deeds were sung by the bards.

It was said that she had hair of midnight hues, skin the colour of the golden sun, eyes that shone like stars the colour of honey, lips of vibrant red and a voice so melodious that wild animals became tame at the sound of it. Her father loved her dearly, for her beauty and sweet nature therefore whatever she wanted, she received. Though unconventional, Layla was taught to read and write, her passion for learning was fed with books from all the lands.

As her beauty grew, Layla’s father became more possessive of the jewel of his household and so the beautiful Layla became a prisoner in her father’s home. Only allowed to wonder the gardens by herself and seldom allowed to enjoy the wonders of the bazaar unless she was hidden in a palanquin where she could remain unseen. Layla became a memory for the people of Iran, though if there were some who were lucky enough to pass the garden walls of her home at midnight, they would hear the heart throbbing melody of her voice as she sang of her desires for freedom and for love.