Chapter 12

Natsu and Lucy sat on their couch in the living room. It had been 3 weeks since they had returned to Magnolia and all throughout them, the couple had been lazy. Well, mostly Natsu and Happy, who had dragged themselves around the house.

Lucy was just sick of being pregnant. She just wanted it over with. Get it out. Done. The blond was tired of needing help to bend down to pick something up, getting out of bed and just being fat. She felt useless.

Lucy sulked in her thoughts while Natsu, who was laying across the couch whose head was on his wife's lap that wasn't being occupied by her stomach, was sleeping. Happy was asleep on the arm of the couch.

The Salamander opened his eyes. "Hey, Luce?"

Well, Lucy thought he was asleep. The celestial wizard snapped back to reality and looked down at him, their eyes meeting. "Yeah?"

"When's the baby gonna be born again? A week? Two?" Natsu questioned as he tilted his head on her lap so he could face her stomach's bulge.

The mage thought back to their most recent appointment with the doctor. She had said the baby should be due in a week or two and it's been a week since that. "Well, actually it should be any day now." She guessed as she ran her fingers through his pink tufts. Lucy loved playing with his hair.

Natsu's sharp eyes snapped away from her stomach and up to her, sitting up. "Any day?" He repeated.

Lucy nodded, a little disappointed from the absence of his warmth. "You were in the room too when the doctor said, y'know."

Natsu gaped at her until he stood up. "Shouldn't we get a hospital bag ready in case you do go into labor?"

Lucy sighed and turned to Happy and scratched behind his ears. "Natsu, we made a hospital bag a month ago, remember? It's in the closet?"

Natsu's tension eased and he sat next to her again. "Oh.. Right." But his shoulders tensed right back up. "But what if we don't make it to the hospital in time? What if I'm not with you when you go into labor and you can't walk? What if-" Lucy cut him short by grabbing his muffler, pulling him close and crashing her lips onto his. That always shut him up.

Natsu returned the kiss and when Lucy thought he had calmed down, she pulled away and spoke gently. "You're always with me 24/7 and the last time you weren't was a month ago. Me and the baby's gonna be fine. I promise." She eased her grip on his scarf so her fingers lingered over the fabric.

Natsu sighed then rested his forehead against Lucy's, their noses barely touching. "I know, I just worry too much."

Lucy grinned then softly pecked his lips, "That's your job."

Natsu smiled. "Come here, you two." He quickly wrapped his arms around Lucy's waist and fell back onto the couch, her landing on her side on top of him. The blond chuckled then tucked her head into the crook of his neck, resting a hand on his chest. Natsu had one hand on the side of her stomach, the other stroking her hair. Lucy's eyes soon drooped closed and the couple fell asleep in each other's arms.