Chapter One - It Began...

Start from the beginning

"Well if Harrison gives you any problems let me know. He could be a stick in the mud and forgets where he came from. He's from Russia you know. Thinks just because he is tall he can rule everything. Don't let him scare you just do your job and you should not have any problems. I know he would hate it if he had to clean this house," he said laughing.

"Believe me Ben, I am here to do a job, get paid and get out of this line of work. I want to go back to school," I said not realizing I had over talked myself.

"What kind of school you trying to go back to? What you want to be a hairdresser, make-up artist, tatoo artist, what you want to be, girl?"

"Never mind, I better get back to work. It was nice meeting you Ben, see you around."

I couldn't believe I said that. I refuse to let anyone know what my life aspirations were. I made that mistake before and people just laughed, telling me I was crazy. Thank the Good Lord I had a scholarship to Baylor and didn't have to pay any loans back. I headed back up to the second floor to continue my work. A few moments later I heard an intercom going off calling my name. It scared me because I hadn't notice the panel on the wall opposite the light switch.

"Caden this Ben, can you come down to the bottom floor to Ms. Lilly's office? It is the fourth door on the left from the stairs." I walked over to the intercom and read the panel. I selected the talk button and responded "okay."

I really had no idea where I was going. Harrison had taken me on a five minute tour which was quicker than a real estate agent. Moments later I had stepped off the bottom step and saw Ben standing in the hallway. "You call for me?" I smiled and he opened the door.

I walked in the massive office. It was something out of a magazine. The furniture all matched in mahogany and the floor to ceiling windows had sheer white curtains that covered. The matching ceiling fan hung above the floor and the chandelier sparkled of the rays of sunshine. I was overwhelmed thinking that I would have to clean all this. This day just got depressing by the minute.

"Do you like what you see Hon?" I turned around and saw a fairly young lady looking at me at the corner of the room. "You're right Ben she is stunning." I looked at the lady dressed in a purple sheath dress with matching shoes. She had a beautiful brooch that screamed "I HAVE MONEY!"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to stare, but this house is so beautiful." The lady in the purple dress smiled.

"I'm Lilly Monroe and this house has been in my family for generations. I'm glad it appeals to you. Welcome."

I smiled taking her hand introducing myself. I hope she didn't think I stole anything because I really needed this job.

"I'm a little unsure why I've been called to see you Ms. Monroe. I just started today and if you noticed something I haven't done I will fix it, honestly." I said not taking my eyes off of her. She smiled at me and headed back to her desk. Why does everyone in this house besides Harrison smiles? It was getting kind of creepy.

"I hear you and Benjamin were talking during lunch time. He said something about you wanting to go back to school. Is that true and what type of school were you trying to attend? I have what you call a "scholarship fund" that I am able to help young ladies like yourself out."

Was this a joke? Why did this lady want to help me out? I signed a disclosure form and she let me work in her house, why would she offer me a scholarship and what was the catch? Should I tell her what my ambitions were or should I keep them to myself?

"Well I attended Baylor University awhile ago until my parents died." I said not knowing how she would react. She held her hand out for me to take a seat. I was nervous as I sat down looking at Benjamin taking the seat next to him.