Chapter Twenty One

Note: Hello, anyone there? :)

Adeline stumbled backwards slightly out of fear. "You're here." she whispered, her eyes the size of orbes.

"Obviously." Grey casually shrugged his shoulders, a wide grin playing upon his lips. "Well, I was hardly going to let you escape off into the woods with something so precious in your possession."

Staring at the red smear on the kitchen floor, Adeline swallowed hard, trying to surpress the urge to throw up. "Did he suffer?"

The male shifted his gaze to what his ex-companion was referring to. "No, it was rather quick. I saw no reason for the old man to feel much pain. His death was actually very unsatisfying." with a bored sigh, he refocused his faze upon Adeline. "Now, I want to talk to you about The Cube.."

Backing into the door frame, the frightened female held onto it for support. "I haven't got it anymore. I destroyed it."

Side table. Top drawer. Hidden inside a hollowed out copy of George Orwell's 1984. Adeline thought, trying to remember where she had hidden the electronic device.

The female was sure he could tell that she was lying. She crossed her fingers behind her back for good measure.

Once more, Grey shrugged. His ice blue eyes focusing more intensely at her, as he moved to stand at the head of the table. "It doesn't matter even if you have because you stupidly decided to use this synth here," he tapped Odi on his right shoulder. "as a carrier."

"No!" she found herself crying before she could stop herself.

Her distress brought much pleasure to the male. "I never really had you down as having a thing for blondes, Pine. I thought you liked your guys more...well, more like me, alive and with a beating heart." he was mocking her now. "I wonder how much you'll like him after I rip out his circuit and leave an empty shell?"

"Please, don't hurt him, or any of them. I'll...I'll..."

"I'll...I'll give you The Cube, which I haven't actually destroyed?" Grey mimicked her voice, laughing at his own cleverness. "Oh, Pine. You always were a terrible liar. Of course you still have The Cube, you wouldn't dare destroy something so precious, you know it's too valuable."

"No, I just didn't get the time to break it into tiny pieces." she mumbled.

"Well, aren't you glad that you didn't, hmm? Because this way, we can make a trade."

Adeline knew that she didn't have much of a choice but to make a deal with the male. Her options were so limited. Either give Grey The Cube or let him tear Odi apart. There would be no pleasant end for her but at least maybe she could save her friends. "Whatever it is that you have in mind, I'll do it but I...I have a condition."

With a malicious smirk, he leant slightly on the table. "Which would be?"

"That after you get The Cube and you do to me whatever it is you have planned, I want you to let my friends go. You wipe their minds, so they never knew we existed- I know you can do that- and you. Let. Them. Go. You hate me, not them. You've already killed someone innocent. I don't want anymore unnecessary blood spilled."

Grey paused for a moment as he considered her proposal. "And what makes you think I'll do as you say?"

A good question but one Adeline had been expecting. "Because you know a good deal when you see one. The police are searching everywhere for the blonde female. Having any connection to her would be bad for business, no? Destroying her won't end their search. You've also murdered Doctor Millican, whom has a monthly visit from NHS nurses and officials, his bloody death will also be suspicious and cause another manhunt. Having a connection to his death would be bad for business, no? Wipe their memories, leave this group of synths to their own devices and you'll get away without the police knowing you were ever here." Adeline paused. "So, do we have a deal?"

Note: Don't forget to comment and vote. It would be nice to know if anyone is still reading this. :)