Chapter Seven

With a single kick, the metal door swung open and the two adults stumbled into the room. Struggling towards one of the metal tables, the blonde synth dropped their latest stash onto the concrete ground and carefully lay Pine upon the cool surface of the table. Turning back towards the door he shut it swiftly, blocking out the storming rain, which had soaked them both through to their skin.

Hastily, he moved back to the stash, unpacking and assembling the space heater. Locating a plug socket opposite Pine's table, he plugged it in and instantly warmth seeped into the gloomy room. Unkneeling, Odi proceeded to unpack the towels he had managed to swipe from a home comforts store. Walking to the table's side, he wrapped Pine in the large, dark blue towel, carefully patting any excess water away. She needed to get changed out if her drenched clothing but in her current state, it was unlikely she could even sit up on her own.

She needed food but was suffering from low blood sugar levels, resulting in her collaosing and remaining unconscious. Dangerously low blood sugar levels. Something sugary would help, so rumaging through their food stash, Odi found a cereal bar. Sugary and easy to eat.

He was used to having to care for someone, his previous owner had been extremely sick. Odi had hoped to return to George with Pine, they would have been safe at his home except for the new NHS synth-nurse would have instantly reported their arrival to her officials, who would in turn have alerted the police. Odi did not know much about Pine's past but he knew that she wanted to under the police's radar. So going home to George was not an option.

Breaking off a small piece of the bar, Odi proceeded to feed his tired companion. Her breathing and oxygen rates were steady, which was a positive sign. Her body was just exhausted and forcing Pine to rest.

The cereal bar was almost finished when she finally began to stir. With a groan, Pine opened her eyes, gazing groggily around the room. "Odi?" her voiced sounded panicked.

"I'm right here." he whispered, smiling meekly down at his friend. Gently, he smoothed away some of her wet hair, removing the odd tendril away from her face.

"Are you okay?" Pine whispered as her eyes closed again and her body visibly relaxed. The reassurance of his presence made her instantly a loy calmer. Initially when Pine had woken up, she had feared that something may have happened to Odi in her moment of weakness.

He chuckled. "Yeah, yeah I'm okay. I was more concerned about you."

"Yeah, sorry about the whole passing out thing, I should have listened to you about the whole blood sugar level...thing."

With a roll of his eyes (a very un-synth gesture), Odi merely continued to smile at Pine, except his smile was less relieved and more of a smirk. "Would an I told you so be too inapproriate?"