Chapter Twelve

Note: Thank you to UGottaLoveDraco for writing parts of this chapter! There's an important question at the bottom of chapter, so please, please check it out and post your opinion otherwise...

...no updates!!! D:

And I have added to Niska's little speech. Pine is going to run away with her and the others. I just thought I'd let you know, it helps with the understanding of this chapter. :)

Morning arrived once more, providing warm rays that crept through the heavy curtains, casting a small amount of light around the large room. Particles of dust filter through the air, becoming visible, no golden, in the bright sunshine.

Adeline began to stir. Her memories of last night hazy.

Water, she suddenly needed water. Her throat was parched, raw from the flu she was suffering with. Everything hurt. Urgh, every time she swallowed, it felt as if he was swallowing swords.

Looking around, she suddenly flinched in shock, for Odi was sitting slumped on a the side of the bed next to her- a cloth gripped in one hand and her own hand clasped in the other. He looked as exhausted as she felt, although she probably looked worse than him. Curse his immortal synth features! "Odi..." she hoarsly croaked.

His eyes opened first, then he was fully awake, acknowledging Adeline's consciousness. Pulling out his power cord and letting go of her hand, the synth moved to sit on the bed side. "Pine," he smiled, his left arm leaning slightly on the bed. "you're awake."

Despite her exhaustion, Adeline smiled. "You can call me Adeline, you know?" she muttered.

He shook his head, still smiling. "You'll always be Pine to me." whilst they were in the midst of small talk, their hands found one another, unconsciously entwining. "I was so worried about you." he lowered his voice slightly. If he could blush, then Odi's cheeks would be alive with colour.

"I'm sorry." the female apologised, her eyes focusing upon their hands. A feeling that she hadn't experienced in a long time stirred within and her heart raced slightly.

The synth took her hand in his, kissing it tenderly, a blush set Adeline's cheeks aflame. "You don't have to apologise." he mumbled against her knuckle. His words sent shivers up her spine. This could not be happening, it had to be a dream but there they both were, slowly becoming entwined. His arms laced around her waist and hers around his neck. Their foreheads touching. "I'm just glad to see you're alright." he whispered in her ear.

"Sorry to keep you waiting." she whispered back, closing her eyes.

"This is weird." she chuckled.

"Weirder than domesticated robots?" he smirked.

Her eyes remained closed but her own smile grew bigger. "Weirder. What are we doing?" she hoarsely whispered.

"Ruining our friendship." Odi replied in an equally hushed tone, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

She frowned slightly at his words. "Since when did we become so close?"

He shrugged, she felt the rise and fall of his shoulders beneath her hands. "Since I realised that I felt something for someone, that I never knew I could feel. Not until you stumbled through the woods and into my life."

Their lips barely touched when Adeline suddenly pulled away. This was all so wrong. She pushed herself away from him, turning her back to his hurt expression whilst she calmed her racing heart. "I can't, I'm sorry."

"Pine?"

"I can't be with you, I'm so, so sorry, Odi." she sobbed.

Gently, Odi turned Marya to face him. His eyes searching her tear-stained face. "Why?"

"Niska and the others, they can take care of themselves but you...you..." her eyes ran over his form, tearing now falling in a steady stream. "I need to protect you."

He reached up with his left hand, his fingers trailing across her cheekbone. She leant into his touch, her eyes closing momentarily. "You...you need protecting too." he whispered. "And I want to protect you."

Note: So, that is it for Chapter Twelve! My pressing question IS:

Should Odi and Adeline (or Pine) become a canon couple (is that the right phrase?) Or...should I add a evil twist to things? Let me know as soon as possible, as it greatly effects the next chapter! Oh, and did I introduce their relationship too early into the plot? I feel like I did...