Chapter Eleven

Note: So, have you guys recovered from the previous chapter? *Evil laugh*

I am going to use a slight AU plotline. Instead of Leo and the others having the key to synth consciousness, I am going to keep it to just Pine who is in possession of it. Oh and Niska isn't going to be hellbent on getting the Cube, we'll just leave that to Grey Steel. I hope that is okay!

Present Day

It was late into the night when someone came a-calling.

There was a sudden knock on the door, signalling to the male and female synth of a third person's arrival. They both stared at the door in complete silence, both fearing that it was the police coming to take Niska away. She armed herself, selecting a rather sharp looking knife from the cutlery draw. Doctor George Millican motioned for her to hide in the groccery cupboard but her icey glare suggested that the blonde synth had other ideas.

Deciding to let Niska do as she pleased, the doctor moved towards the door, trying to act as natural as possible. Thankfully Vera was currently cleaning the bathroom and would hopefully be preoccupied enough to remain in there.

With a somewhat steady hand, he unchained and unlocked the door, expecting to see D.S. Pete Drummond only, it wasn't the spectacle-wearing male...

...it was Odi, his beloved synth. In the male synth's arms was also a girl, wrapped up in a blanket, looking extremely distressed. "We need your help." Odi spoke.

The elder doctor looked at his synth in absolute shock, never had Odi spoken to him so much like a human. George Millican quickly snapped out of his frozen state and moved out of the way, allowing Odi and the girl to make their way into the livingroom.

Watching the scene whilst hidden in the livingroom, Niska was shocked to see a synth who was similar to her and her family. Her blue eyes narrowed, who were these new guests? Still carrying her knife, she slowly and silently made her way to the livingroom.

She remained just beside the doorframe but could still see inside the entire room. The new synth was sat on the dark blue fabric sofa, with a girl wrapped up a blanket in his arms. Niska could not see the girl's face clearly as it was obscured by hair and blanket, so she decided to focus on what the blonde male was saying.

"...I know that this is a lot for you to take in." Odi explained to his owner, trying to explain clearly how he had come to possess a consciousness and who Pine was. "But I'm telling the truth George. I'm sorry to entrust you with all this information but I didn't know who else to turn to. She's really sick and needs help."

A slight groan escaped from the girl's pale lips as she stirred slightly, mumbling the words: "It hurts."

George was dumbfounded, he could barely process the fact that his once emotionless synth now had feelings, let alone the fact that the stillborn child of his ex-colleague was now sitting in his livingroom. What had Doctor James and Elster done...

"My scans tell me that she has the flu, she needs painkillers and plenty of water but where we were hiding out didn't have the right facilities. The damp was making her worse. Please, George, will you help us?"

The was a moment of silence, Niska watched the old man carefully, wondering what he would say.

"Wait here, I need to deal with Vera and some...other issues first. I won't be long. Once I'm finished, she can stay in the spare room."

A look of relief passed over Odi's flawless features but a look of pure horror passed of Niska's. "What?!" she growled, revealing herself from her hiding spot. As she strode into the room, her angered eyes fixed on the new synth, how on Earth had he too been granted the gift of consciousness?

"Now, Niska-" George attempted to calm the entaged female.

Odi frowned, glancing from the unexpected synth to his owner. "Who is she, George?"

"Who is he?" Niska snarled, her gaze now focused on the doctor.

"Niska?" a fourth voice joined the conversation. It was weak but still comprehendable. "Niska, is that you?" the girl's wide eyes stared happily at the female synth. Judging by the dilated pupils, the girl could not see her clearly but could just about make out her form.

Niska was immediately wary of the girl, who was she?

"It's Adeline." she continued. "Leo's friend. Doctor James's daughter."

Within moments, Niska was by Pine's side, hugging the ill female. "Adeline!" she exclaimed with joy, the sound muffled by the yellow, woolen blanket. "Oh, where have you been?"

"Here and there." she weakly laughed in response. "But I'm in trouble."

The blonde female pulled away, extremely concerned for her friend. "What?" she murmured.

"I've fallen out of favour with a very dangerous man and he's after me, I'm going to need your help, Niska."

"You can have mine, Fred's, Max's and Leo's help."

Pine's eyes widened in surprise. "You're with Leo?"

She nodded. "After our Father died, we escaped together. Unfortunately, we too are being hunted. Although, mine is for major assult and murder."

"Yes, I saw your face in the news. Oh, Niska I was so worried. Wait, you only mentioned four people, what about Mia?"

Niska brushed away some of the stray locks that were covering Pine's face. "Don't worry about Mia, it's a long story bur Leo's located her. Soon, we'll be a family again. Whatever has happened, Adeline, we'll help you. I promise. No more running away, okay? Leo is going to be so happy to see you. There's not been a day that's passed since you left that we haven't thought about you."

"I didn't forget any of you either. My childhood friends..." Pine whispered, her eyes glazing over slightly.

"Adeline?" Niska stared in fear as the younger female's eyes rolled back into her skull and her body became limp in Odi's arms.

"Her fever has increased." Odi quickly gathered Pine in his arms. "She needs painkillers and water. Now." he stared at his owner, who too had risen from his armchair.

"I'll deal with Vera, you two stay here with Adeline-" George began saying before he was interrupted.

"-I'll deal with that annoying synth." Niska sneered, her focus now on helping her friend. "She's been bugging me for days, I'm owed this little bit of revenge."

Note: Over 1000 words for this chapter, phew.