Chapter Eight

"Your leg is surprisingly not as bad as it feels, there are just a couple of fractures in it, so you'll have to have your cast on for quite some time." The doctor said as he put up the picture of DJ's leg. She layed in the hospital bed with Zak sitting right beside her hold her hand.

"What about the baby?" Zak asked trying not to get scared.

"The way she described falling, DJ should've hit her stomach quite a few times. She could've lost the baby but her quick thinking and holding her stomach saved the baby." Zak let out a sigh. "We're going to keep you overnight just to make sure everything is going good." DJ nodded her head and the doctor walked out. DJ couldn't even look at Zak because she knew what she did could have killed the baby.

"I'm sorry, Zak." DJ said sniffling and trying to hold back the tears. Zak looked up at her. He then stood up and DJ watched as he walked out of the room. She fell back with her head on the bed as she realized just how much of a stupid thing she did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, DJ flew back home after not talking to Zak since she was first in the hospital. She's been sitting home alone with just her and the three dogs since they had planned on moving in together and moved Gracie to her house. The dogs cuddled with her as she tried not cry for the billionth time.

"Anybody home?" Carley's voice sounded from downstairs.

"Up here, Carl." DJ replied as she wiped the tears away. A few seconds later, Carley walked into DJ's bedroom and found DJ in her state. "I screwed up."

"You know what happened wasn't your fault, DJ."

"Yes, it is, Carley. If I would've stayed at the hotel, I wouldn't have broken my leg and almost killed our baby. And now Zak won't even talk to me."

"If he won't talk to you then screw him. You don't need someone like that."

"I love him, Carley. He's been here longer than any of the others." DJ felt more tears starting to fall. Carley sat their comforting DJ until someone knock on the door. Carley went downstairs to answer it.

"DJ, can you come down a minute?" Carley called from down the stairs. DJ wiped the tears away and did that. She walked down the stairs and walked to the front door to see Zak standing on the porch. "I'll let you two talk." Carley left just as Zak turned around to face DJ.

DJ was terrified of what Zak would say.

"If your gonna yell at me save it-." DJ was cut off when Zak kissed her grasping the sides of her face in his hands. She immediately relaxed and kissed back. Zak pulled away and rested his forehead against DJ's.

"You scared the hell out of me, DJ." Zak said as he then pulled away from her and walked in the house. He closed the door and followed DJ who had to use crutches. She sat down on the couch just as the three dogs rushed down the stairs to greet Zak. He sat down next to DJ.

"That still doesn't give you a reason to not talk to me." DJ replied feel more tears threatening to come. "I didn't choose to go into the prison, Zak. Something made me go and then something literally told me that you were going to get hurt."

"You could've killed the baby, DJ."

"God, I'm sorry, Zak. Don't you think I hate myself for putting the baby in danger? I thought something was gonna happen to you. Did you want this baby growing up without it's dad if something happens?"

"I didn't know what to say to you without exploding. That's why I didn't talk to you. I didn't want kids and now that I'm going to be a dad, everything is changing. When I'm on lockdowns and you're in the nerve center, you are all that's on my mind."

"So, you're saying I'm a distraction?"

"No, that's not what I meant. I want you and the baby to be safe, that's why I wanted you to stay here. That's what I meant."

"You're right." Zak scooted closer to DJ and put his arm around her shoulders. She leaned against his shoulder and Zak kissed her forehead.

"I don't want you to stop doing what you do. I just don't want you to be there when you can get hurt."

"I won't go."

"Please don't make me feel like an asshole telling you to stay here. I just don't want either of you to get hurt."

"You are right. I can't be selfish with a baby on the way."

"You know I love you, right?"

"Yeah, I know. I love you too."

"I bought you something." DJ looked at Zak as he stood up and held his hand out to her. DJ took his hand and he helped her up. They walked outside and DJ smiled seeing the 1969 Dodge Charger. "I know it's not the one you wanted but I thought maybe it'd be nice to get you something that I know not a lot of women have."

"I love it, Zak. Thank you." Zak put his arm around DJ's shoulders again and kissed her forehead.

"We filmed the rest of the episode. So, I'm here for a few more days until we have our second lockdown."

"I did have an ultrasound appoint this afternoon. Feel like you need to come too since you're the daddy after all." Zak smiled at her calling him a "daddy".

---------------------

"There's your baby." The doctor said as a picture of the baby came up on the screen. DJ smiled and looked over at Zak who had tears in his eyes. "Would you guys like a printed picture?"

"Yes please." DJ replied. After the doctor handed them, a picture he left giving them some privacy. DJ looked back over at Zak who was looking at the picture. "Why are you crying?"

"I'm excited. And I got to see my son or daughter. I don't know how to react." Zak replied as he wiped the tears away. DJ smiled as Zak put his fingers on the picture. "Do you still wanna get a new place? I was planning on selling mine anyway."

"I feel like with three dogs and a baby on the way, we should get a new place. Plus, I want a pig." Zak looked at DJ like she was crazy.

"You want a pig?" DJ smiled.

"I want a pig. I knew somebody in elementary school who had a pet pig. Always wanted one."

"Well, we'll find you a pig. You're killing me with your animals."

"You love me, though."

"That I do, babe. That I do."