I felt myself starting to shake. Not in fear as I originally felt I would feel around Fiore, but in anger. How dare she bring that up? And when did she dig up information on me? Yes, my brother had gotten himself in trouble. Yes, I'd taken it upon myself to dig him out. No, I didn't like to revisit that. I took a deep breath before replying. "I'd never stoop so low as to be with anyone for something so dirty as money." I paused to take another breath to calm myself. "You can say whatever you want about my past, but that's just what it is. My past, and it's shaped me into the person I am today, which I'm pretty proud of." I stood, feeling my legs shake like jelly. "Thank you for inviting me to your party." I said as politely as possible, going to leave, but Fiore stood in front of me. Close enough so that only I could hear her whisper despite the loud music.

"Even proud of those pictures your ex shared with his friends?" My mouth went dry. The memory caused tears to prickle at my eyes but I held them back. I would never let anyone see me cry. How did she even get those? I thought I had put all of that behind me.

"I may not be proud of things that happened in the past, but I am proud of the way I handle it today." I said, meeting Fiore's gaze head on. She measured me for a moment, before linking her arm with mine at the elbow and basically dragging me to a different room. "Wh-..." I started.

"Come with me. If you enjoy Chad's company there are a few things you'll want to know." We were suddenly in a study, Fiore closing the door behind her. I looked around for a moment as Fiore opened a globe on the desk revealing what looked like very expensive liquor.

"Twenty year old scotch." Fiore elucidated, not watching me as she poured two glasses. She set the drink on the table in front of me. "Don't take it just yet." She warned, taking a small sip before she continued, savoring the taste. "You may or may not be good for Chad," She began, looking back to me, her probing gaze set on me. "That is my biggest concern. As you might have noticed, I'm a little protective over people I care about. Especially new people. Don't take offense to it. Be honored if anything." I held back a snort at that, but if I really thought about it, it did make sense. She wouldn't have gone through all of that if she didn't think that it was important. "It means that I know enough about you to buy your silence if you were to try to extort Chad or hurt him." She paused and I waited patiently for her to continue, knowing she had more to say. I felt her watching, probing and gauging my reaction. I held onto an expression as impassive as possible, feeling my anger melting. Now I was more curious than anything, feeling my expression take on a more inquisitive fashion. "The reason I've invited you here is simply to have a real conversation. I want you to understand who I am and why you are on my radar. I haven't decided if I like you yet or not, but as I was throwing your skeletons out for anyone to hear, you didn't start name calling." A small smile tugged at the corner of Fiore's lips as she moved and leaned back against the desk, taking another sip. "You kept your cool, and you haven't attacked me. I'm an easy person to anger. I'm also an easy person to attack. That you didn't, shows some sense, some class, or some stupidity. I don't believe it's that latter, but I've been wrong before." Another sip, her eyes staying on me. I waited. "I'm not someone you want to be your enemy. Even if I don't like you personally, I can be an ally if you are someone worth forming an alliance to. I am not a nice person. I'm sure you're familiar with my title. Aren't you?" She cocked an eyebrow and I cocked mine in response.

"Of course. I did my research before applying for the position." I was still curious as to where this conversation was leading. I couldn't quite figure out if I was on her good side yet or bad side, but I was guessing it was somewhere in a neutral zone at the moment.

"What is my title?" Her tone was cool, but demanded an answer.

"Royal attack dog, as I hear it." I replied, keeping my voice strong.