A Disappointing Discovery

I started writing this story when I was 16, and have carried it on until I was 18. Because of this, my writing progressively improves as you read on. The first chapter is not as good as the rest of it, but give it a chance and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Please vote and review as you go along x

The alarm rang with a blaring whistle, and I sighed deeply, before slamming it roughly with my hand, switching it off. Five O'bloody clock. Too early to wake up, too late to go back to sleep. I had to be early today, though. Today was the first day of my 5th year in Starfleet, the last year of my medical training. At the end of this year, I would be a doctor.

Dr. Alex Birchwood.

I liked the sound of that.

Yawning, I dragged myself out of bed and towards my small bathroom, looked in the mirror and groaned. I looked like shit. My dark curly hair, usually styled in a long plait down my right shoulder, was sticking up in all directions, making my already pale face look even paler, and my light blue eyes were surrounded by the black smudge of yesterday's unwashed mascara. I ran my fingers through my unruly hair, trying in vain to slightly decrease the volume of it, before giving up, and switching on my shower.

"Waatimes it?" I heard a slurred mumble from outside the bathroom door.

"What?" I yelled back, peeling off my pyjamas and stepping into the stream of hot water.

"What time is't Alex?" Came the voice again, slightly more comprehensible this time.

"Ten past five. Get your green ass out of bed, T'yonga. It's learnin' time."

"GAAAHHHHHH" came the annoyed scream from T'yonga, my Orion roommate.

As roommates go, she was a pretty good one. She was two years older than me, at twenty five, and despite constantly leaving our shared accommodation in a state that made it look like the Somme, was one of the best friends I could ask for. Yes, living with her meant that my bathroom was constantly covered in dark green foundation and pink lipstick, but what she lacked in cleanliness, she made up for in enthusiasm and counsel. I could always rely on her to make me feel better in a scrape.

I bent down and grabbed the shampoo, squeezing a generous amount onto my hand, and massaging it into my scalp, relaxing as the scent of apple bubbles filled my nostrils. Rinsing it off, I watched the green bubbles make their way down the plughole, which was blocked with strands of T'yonga's bright red hair. I applied conditioner, rinsed, then switched the shower off, stepping out into the steamy bathroom, and beginning to brush the knots out of my long hair.

I wrapped a towel around myself, then stepped out of the bathroom to be faced with a flash of green skin.

"FOR GOD'S SAKE T'YONGA!" I yelled, spinning around and closing my eyes, "CLOTHES. THEY ARE A WONDERFUL THING."

She laughed, a low husky sound, I heard her walk off, her feet padding on the wooden floor, "You're just jealous of my ample bosom,"

"If you say the word bosom one more time I'm going to shove my stethescope up your arse," I replied, hiding a giggle with a cough.

I turned around to a (thankfully) empty room, and dropped my towel, rooting in my dresser for underwear. I settled on a plain black set, before taking my blue regulation Starfleet shirt out of my wardrobe. I slipped it on and said a quick thank-you to whatever deity was out there that it still fit, as I'd put on a few pounds over the summer. I wiggled into a pair of skinny black jeans and put on my black boots, before chucking a black leather jacket into my satchel, and following T'yonga into our little kitchen. As much as I complained about it, the student accommodation in Starfleet was pretty decent.