Chapter 28 (Edited)

I know i normally don't add to songs to chapters, thats because i can never think of ones that work. but i was listening to Haunted by Taylor Swift and it reminded it of a part in this chapter.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Chapter 28

“So what’s the plan?” Liz asked tiredly, sounding as bad as she looked. Her hair looked an absolute mess and her clothes were all wrinkled and worn. I shrugged.

“Well, now we have to find out who has my family so we probably won’t do much until we find out who that is. I think you and Jordan should just rest and recover. The rest of us can find this new guy by ourselves,” I answered. Liz shook her head forcefully.

“Absolutely not, I said I would help you and that’s what I’m going to do,” she argued, and then her eyes warily flickered over to where Alexandria was sitting. I sighed, understanding just then why Liz was acting this way. She was still suspicious of Alexandria. It was hard for Liz to trust a vampire; it went against what she had been taught all her life. She had been taught to fear vampires and to treat them as a threat.

“We are not doing anything for a bit. I think we should all get some food first,” I told her spotting a small restaurant across the street. Erik’s father parked the car and then we all climbed out of the van. Almost everyone immediately began to cross the street but I noticed Alexandria hung back not crossing. I started to go to her but a hand grabbed mine. I met Liz’s concerned gaze.

“Aren’t you coming?” Liz asked. I looked at her and then back at Alexandria. She watched Liz and I with a cool and uncaring expression. She noticed I was looking and looked down at her phone.

“Yeah of course I’m coming, I'm starving,” I said smiling. Liz tentatively started smiling back. “But first I have to go talk to Alexandria, alone. Then I’ll meet up with you.” Liz’s smile disappeared and she dropped my hand as if it burned. She turned away quickly but not before I caught sight of her hurt expression. I sighed as I watched her cross the street and enter the little restaurant.

“What do you want to talk about?” Alexandria asked impatiently. I rolled my eyes and put the conversation I had had with Liz out of my mind.

“Aren’t you going to come into the restaurant with us?” I asked her delaying talking about what had happened while we were in the small cramped broom closet. She laughed.

“Yeah, I don’t think the best place for a vampire is near four hunters that normally kill vampires, but thanks for the invite,” she said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah but two of those hunters have been just fine around you,” I said.

“How Erik has been acting around classifies as fine, really? Were you there when he tried to kill me with magically enhanced trees? I don’t think of that as good behaviour.”

“Oh come on, he never came close to harming you.”

“Yeah he may not have, but you surely did,” she said carefully watching for a reaction from me. I knew she was watching but I couldn’t help avoiding her eyes. I didn’t want that particular subject to be brought up, especially by her.

“I wasn’t exactly in the right mind then, now was I,” I muttered. “I couldn’t stop myself. You’re alive aren’t you? So stop complaining.” Alexandria’s eyebrows rose as she looked at me in disbelief.

“I’m only alive by some strange twist of fate. I don’t really know what brought me back to life, but it’s not normal. It shouldn’t have happened, I should be dead,” Alexandria whispered before turning around and walking away from me.