Chapter 9 (Edited)

Chapter 9

“Hello?” I asked; I was unsure who it was because my phone didn’t have caller id. All I could hear was silence, no one was speaking on the phone and every in the room had suddenly gone quiet.

“Damien?” It was my mother. “Damien, something horrible has happened.” I felt a chill, my mother sounded quite worried and she seemed unable to maintain her normal uninterested and calm persona.

“What’s wrong?” I asked with a horrible feeling that what my mother would say next would not be good. Liz frowned and gave me a questioning look but I shook my head not having time to deal with her right now.

“Tristan, has disappeared, he failed to check in at an appointed time and when someone was sent to check on him, Tristan, was no where to be found,” she said with sorrow and grief unmasked in her voice.

“What are they doing to find him?” this question caused everyone in the room to give me stranger looks. They were curiously wondering what I was talking about.

“They have sent teams of hunters out to search for him but they aren’t very optimistic about their odds of finding him. They think he was likely taken by vampires and killed shortly after but searching for missing hunters is protocol so they have to at least try,” my mother whispered as if she no longer had the strength to speak. “Damien I think you should come home for the time being, an event like this needs the whole family together and I can’t bear the thought of you out there, its not safe, you can go missing too.”

“So that’s it? You’re not even going to try to find him? You might be willing to wait around for, Tristan, to be found but I’m not, so I’m sorry, but I’m going to decline your offer of going home,” I told her.

“That wasn’t an offer Damien,” my mother snapped sounding like her usual self all of a sudden. I nodded my head now bored with this conversation even though she couldn’t see me.

“Yeah, but that’s how I’m going to treat it, bye,” I responded rolling my eyes.

“Damien wait-,” was all she said before I pressed end and hung up on her. I looked around at everyone and saw similar looks of surprise on their faces, I shrugged not quite caring. I stood there for a moment before a sense that I couldn’t just stay here and sit idly by overtook me. I had to do something productive.

“Erik and I are going to leave, we have something important to do,” I announced. No one looked particularly convinced, especially Erik.

“We do?” Erik asked confused. I looked at him and nodded slowly hoping he would snap out of it. “Okay then, so I guess we will see you guys some other time,” Erik remarked standing up and stretching. Liz looked back and forth at us trying to figure out where we were going and then with a sigh gave up.

“Bye,” I called as I pulled the door shut muffling their goodbyes. I ignored Erik as I walked ahead of him. All I wanted to do was get out of this building. I needed some fresh air.

“So what are we actually doing?” inquired Erik as we walked out of the hotel. I took a deep breath and paused.

“Well as you probably overheard, Tristan is missing so I want to go and look for him. If you don’t want to help that’s alright, you can just stay at the apartment or something,” I stated. Erik thought about it then sighed.

“I understand this is your issue so I won’t interfere but if you think I’m just going to let you go who knows where alone you’re mistaken,” Erik said. My surprised expression caused him to smirk. “Also I think being alone at the apartment with those two girls always around would get very annoying pretty quickly,” Erik explained.