Chapter 3 (Edited)

Chapter 3

I didn’t go toward my room as I thought I would once I got back to the Academy. Instead I headed to the Training Center located on Academy ground. In what seemed like no time at all I was walking up the cement stairs of the Training Center. I pulled open the door and stepped into the air conditioned building.

I headed towards my locker right away. The locker I got for being one of the top hunters was bigger and better than the normal ones at the Training Center. While the other lockers could be used by anyone the locker I had was for me and only me. The Academy was quite competitive; they rewarded students that were the best to make the other students try harder. Lockers were only one of the perks I got for being a top student. I opened my locker and changed into black shorts and shirt that I had stored in there. Once I was changed I left the locker room and headed to the part of the Training Center where there was equipment for hunters to use.

I surveyed the room and all of its state-of-the-art equipment. There was a station for weights, combat fighting, archery, shooting, punching bags and a station to practice aim for staking vampires. Not to mention the track field and the Olympic-size swimming pool outside. There were also classes that taught numerous other activities but there was a schedule for that since those classes aren’t taught at all times. I decided I would just start off at the punching bags and relieve my stress and figure out some things before moving on to more challenging activities. There were a few other people at the punching bags but it was not as crowded as the combat fighting station. Combat fighting was always a popular station; students loved to be allowed to fight each other and could only do so at the Training Center.

I punched the punching bag hard a few times and it swayed back and forth. A few punches and it had already made me feel better. I kept repeating that action for a while. I only paused when my sister, Kayla, walked up to me and waited for me to acknowledge her. She was four years older than me and was out of the Academy and while former students were allowed to return they often chose not to unless they had some kind of business to see to.

“Don’t tell me what mom and dad said actually made you try to make yourself better by training,” she stated when I glanced at her. “You know how mom and dad are, they overreact. Plus you’re amazing, and they just can’t see that because they always want us to improve. Wait a bit and I’m sure it will all die down. You have nothing to worry about.”

I brushed my hair out of my eyes and looked at her. Kayla was exactly like my mother, they were blond, slender, smart and great fighters. “I’m not worried. I’m just training because I felt like it.” Kayla nodded but didn’t seem convinced. “How do you even know what they said to me?” I asked.

“I know because I had to listen to them last night when they first heard of your situation. They didn’t stop talking about it for a very long time. They were having trouble decided what to say to you when they saw you. I had to leave because I couldn’t stand hearing about it for much longer,” Kayla complained giving me an irritated look conveying the fact that she was blaming me for having to listen to our parents conversation about me.

“Why are you here anyway? You work all the way at city hall which is quite a few blocks away from the Academy.” I replied trying to change the subject.

“Thanks for reminding me where I work, Damien,” responded Kayla sarcastically. “For your information I came here to tell you that the Headmaster wants to see you.” I looked at her questioningly. Why would the Headmaster want to see me when she had seen me yesterday? “I don’t know why, I was just told to find you and deliver the message.”

“That still doesn’t explain why you were here in the first place,” I retorted.

Kayla exhaled clearly exasperated. “It’s none of your business. One of my old teachers just wanted to talk to me, and no, I will not tell you what that conversation was about just in case you were going to ask.”