Chapter 27 (Edited)

Chapter 27

“So what happened?” I asked Erik after my struggle to remember details failed. I rubbed my head but that didn’t affect my pounding headache.

“Alexandria almost drained you dry and then disappeared. She probably told Derek Bellamont everything,” Erik answered. I rolled my eyes; unlike Erik I didn’t exactly believe Alexandria betrayed us. As she had been drinking my blood I had understood that she needed my blood badly. It still didn’t account for why she had taken so much blood and left me on the verge of passing out.

“Right, so what are we going to do next?” I asked curiously but Erik just shook his head as if I was missing some crucial point.

“We can’t continue our mission to trick him now that he probably knows so we’ll have to just attack him or infiltrate his place.” I sighed. His lack of faith in Alexandria was giving me an even bigger headache. My phone started buzzing; someone was calling. I picked it up and looked at the screen; it was an unknown number. After a moment of thought I pressed talk.

“Hello?” I asked as I moved away from Erik and his father so they wouldn’t overhear although, if they really wanted to they could just use magic. I cast a glance over my shoulder but Erik and his father seemed busy with other things.

“Will the witches attack me the second they see me?” It was Alexandria, she just sounded amused. I sucked in a breath. I was glad Erik wasn’t listening.

“Probably, they think you’re a threat.”

“Yeah, I'm sure Erik is convinced I switched sides and told Derek everything,” Alexandria laughed. My silence only confirmed her guess. “Look, I had a good reason for everything I did last night but I'm not going to explain them to you over the phone. I’ll explain everything to you later; first you have to convince your guard witches that I mean no harm.” Then with that she hung up leaving me listening to the dial tone.

“Erik, you and your father can’t attack Alexandria,” I announced. They looked at me in alarm. Erik crossed his arms and glared around as if Alexandria was somehow hear and watching us. Then again, considering who we were talking about it was entirely possible.

“Why not? Is she threatening you?” Erik growled. His father only looked grim as if this confirmed his suspicions of Alexandria. I shook my head.

“What? No, she isn’t threatening me. She just says she has a good reason for doing what she did last night and I trust her,” I explained. Erik rolled his eyes.

“Yeah right,” Erik muttered.

After more persuading Erik and his father begrudgingly nodded; agreeing to not harm Alexandria for what she had done. As soon as they had agreed Alexandria showed up. She smirked at Erik and his father when they did nothing then went over to the roof ledge. Jumping off the roof was a good enough exit if Erik decided to attack her with magic.

“So? Explain,” Erik ordered when Alexandria didn’t say anything. She rolled her eyes and looked at him.

“I didn’t tell Derek Bellamont about Damien’s plans so don’t worry,” she said.

“Yeah, I don’t quite care about that. What I want to know is why you hurt Damien,” Erik replied annoyed. “You’d better not say you couldn’t control yourself.”

“I wasn’t going to say that. I did have a reason for drinking exactly enough blood to make Damien pass out.” Erik raised one eyebrow unconvinced. “The one owner of the blood bar was going to drink even more blood after every vampire customer had left. And trust me; she would have drunk enough of Damien’s blood to leave him recovering for weeks if he didn’t die. Instead because Damien already had lost enough blood she decided to wait although she probably didn’t know she wouldn’t be seeing him ever again,” she explained.