The Best of You - Armin x Reader

"Uh, (F-f/n), is this really necessary?"

You happily wrapped the light blue, silk-fabricated scarf around the blonde's neck as you stood behind him, making sure that his hair was covering any parts of his exposed skin. A smile appeared upon your features as he looked away in embarrassment, obviously not comfortable with being seen in this state in front of his friends and higher-ups.

"You'd catch a cold without a scarf, so you'll thank me for this later on." you patted his shoulder before he turned his head to meet your wide smile. He flashed you one as well, before you both began to meet up with your other friends and colleagues.

It was a peaceful and calm, chilly afternoon at the castle, where everyone was relieved to hear the news that, following the recent news of upcoming weather reports, training and other duties would be suspended for one week.

The normally blue sky above was coated with shades of grey and white, as you and Armin made your way out of the castle and into the field outside. You both were greeted by your friends at arrival, and you noted their not-so-normal- appearance, which consisted of long sleeved shirts, scarfs, pants, and coats.

"Good afternoon, (F/n)." Mikasa greeted as she fixated her crimson shades scarf around her neck.

"Good afternoon Mikasa." you happily replied as you flashed her a warmly smile, to which she returned lightly.

"It's nice to see you back in one piece, (F/n)." Jean huffed as he tucked his hands into the front pockets of his coat, playfully checking to see if you had your limbs in the right places.

"Pfft, well good afternoon to you too, Jean." you playfully scoffed as he flashed you an innocent smile with his eyes closed.

"How was your expedition? I heard it went pretty good." Eren began as you all started walking into the contrasted forest along the dirt path, with Armin by your side and Jean lagging in the back boredly.

"It was alright," your gaze was fixed on the trees above you, which emitted leaves of red, orange, yellow, and brown. The crunching beneath your feet were sure to startle any animal that was nearby, as you all continued on down the path.

"It would have to be my best one yet, considering that it was the expedition to ever have the fewest casualties. Still, it was dreadful."

"How is it like-" Armin butted in, grabbing you and everyone else's attention. You slightly turned your head to meet the younger boy beside you, as his gaze was fixated in front of him.

"Being a squad leader?"

You slightly down casted your eyes to the ground, hoping that the memories of past expeditions wouldn't bring tears to your (e/c) colored orbs. Right now wasn't the best time, anyways.

"Well, I'll tell you this - it's not easy. Being in charge of your squadron's lives and well-being... it's a big responsibility."

"I can imagine it being a hassle to you." Mikasa stated as she brought her scarf up to her face to cover up her mouth and nose. You sighed as you kicked around a few piles of leaves as you passed them by, holding a vague expression with ease.

"At times, it is. But there'll be a time where you realize that no matter the position you hold - soldier or squad leader, - you're responsible for everyone's lives, even if it means sacrificing your own."

Silence quickly followed after that. Nothing but the sounds of crunching footsteps filled the forest, as you were threatened to stop dead in your tracks to re-evaluate yourself.

"I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't be saying such things to you all, especially since I'm older than you guys. You all shouldn't be worrying about something like this, especially at this age."