Chapter 7

Here's the next chapter! :D I hope you guys like it! :D Please vote and comment for it and share it with your wattpad friends! :D I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it. :P Picture of Tamarak on the side. :)

Chapter 7

                          Satisfaction filled Varmer up like a drink when he observed the panic in Dahlia's eyes. As long as he had her friends, he always had certain leverage over her, no matter how much she bluffed and pretended. Darius gave another awkward bow and backed out of the room, eyeing Dahlia suspiciously and uneasily.

                          There had been such a disaster with the destruction of the prison cell that Varmer had gotten Tamarak and Hunter injected with the power-removal drug, chained up in metal locks, knocked unconscious and shoved in a priest hole that only opened from the outside. They had no more hope of escaping than Dahlia had of turning into a bird.

                          "Varmer, you don't have to do this," Dahlia urged. "You have all the power you could possibly want. You don't have to torture them for information. You know that."

                           Varmer glared darkly at her. "That's what you say," he retorted. "You think that you're very smart, Dahlia McLean, but your knowledge of magic is so small that you know about as much information as an ant does!"

                           Dahlia glowered back at him. "Huh!" she snapped rudely. "The only reason you would say that would be if you aren't as powerful as you pretend to be. And I know that's true, so don't bother to lie. Why else would you need Dr Lucy to stitch up your arm?"

                           Varmer kept frowning at her; his teeth gritted and his lips pressed tightly into a flat line. It was all he could do to keep his expressions under control for he did not want Dahlia to see that she had gotten under his skin. All the information that he had willingly and unwillingly provided to her would just give her power.

                           "Is that why you need the guard?" Dahlia continued. "Because you aren't powerful enough to protect yourself?"

                             Varmer was tempted to go straight into her mind and erase all her memories of the past day or so. That would have no effect on what he needed from her. He was contemplating doing that but he knew it was stupid to even think about it; he didn't have the energy to create a fireball, much less wipe the memory of an unwilling mind that was as strong as Dahlia's.

                             "Talk all you wish," he scoffed, turning away from her dismissively. "It'll get you nowhere."

                             He walked away, towards his stores of potions, just close enough to stop Dahlia from charming Dr Lucy to free her. Stuffing his hands into his pockets of his cloak, he tried to keep them from shaking with fatigue; he was more exhausted than he cared to admit.

                            "Tell me one thing," Dahlia called to his back, spilling the bait out on tenterhooks, hoping that Varmer would fall for it.

                              He hesitated, freezing on his heel, tempted to walk but equally tempted to stay. Knowing that he might be snapping up her bait, he reluctantly turned to face her, prepared for an onslaught of magic. As he did so, he fell, hook, line and sinker, into Dahlia's well-laid trap.

                              "Did you ever care about her?" Dahlia asked, curiosity evident in her voice.

                              "Who?" Varmer asked uneasily.