Chapter 6

Here's the next chapter! :D I really hope you guys like it! :D Please vote and comment for it and share it with your friends, please! :D Picture of Cedric on the side. :) (Not Luna because she hasn't appeared yet).

Chapter 6

Arulan hated feeling hopeless. It was something that he had always detested, even as a child. But now, watching Sapphire and Jared rush around, trying to save Ella's life, he felt more useless than he had ever felt before.

Elliot stood next to Ella's bed, scrolling through a table with one finger on the touch-screen. He kept electronic records of all the magicians; there was no danger of them ever being hacked by another magician. The majority of the magicians had no clue how to use the technology that Elliot created, with the exception of Dahlia and maybe Troy and Helen. Having grown up in the human world, both of them were more familiar with gadgets than the other magicians ever would be.

"Don't you have any potions that could completely heal Ella?" Iris asked Jared, heaving armfuls of potions onto a side table for Jared to inspect.

"Ran out," Jared said shortly, snatching up one from her heap and yanking out the cork. He doused Ella's wound with it and dropped the empty bottle into a silver trash can. "After the Battle for Avalon, I used up almost my entire supply of healing serums, potions, tonics and elixirs. No way can I make another in time to use it on Ella."

Sapphire grimaced, glancing swiftly at Ella's blood pressure reading on the machine. "Ella's not going to last much longer unless we do something now. Arulan, come here. We'll have to attempt the surgery now with or without a donor. Raven, see if Elliot can find another Magician of Fire for you to get as a donor."

It was Arulan's turn to wince; he approached them tentatively. "Are you sure that you want to risk using my blood?"

"Not your blood," Sapphire snapped. "I need you to pull out Troy's sword. It'll burn the rest of us if we touch it."

Feeling stupid, Arulan yanked on a pair of latex gloves. He doubted that Varmer's sword would burn him, but he didn't want to take any chances.

"Mitchell!" Sapphire shouted.

The Magician of Earth dashed over, his sewing kit at the ready.

"Sew up Ella's wound; whatever you can, when Arulan pulls the sword out," Sapphire ordered.

Even though Mitchell was more than twice Sapphire's age, he obeyed her without question. In the hospital wing, Sapphire had full authority, higher than anyone, even Arulan. Even Jared couldn't override her decisions.

Just as Arulan reached for the sword, Troy reappeared beside him with Helen and another girl whom Arulan had never seen before. Sapphire didn't react upon seeing him, although her eyes flashed with anger the second she saw Helen and the girl next to her.

"Scan her blood," she snapped, glaring at Troy but targeting her words to Elliot.

Iris swabbed Helen's arm with antiseptic and pushed in a needle. Helen winced, but didn't protest as Iris filled a syringe with blood.

"Come on, Iris!" Sapphire snapped, tension tight and angry in her voice.

Sapphire hardly ever reacted this way. It was rare for her to crack under pressure, but right now, it was obvious that the burden on her was greater than ever before. To her credit, Iris didn't argue back; she just dropped a bead of blood onto a glass slide and slid it onto the microscope for Elliot. The technopath brought it up on the cell image on his large screen and magnified it, immediately flagging components and tagging organelles.