Chapter 23 ~ Burdening Sorrow

Depuis le début

She took a while to gather her thoughts before a small smile tilted up her lips. She nodded, "Thank you, Luna."

The journey back to the academy was filled with endless chatter on Luna's part, her smiles and joyous giggles lightening the heavy burden in her heart. Her smile was so pure, so kind that she thanked the gods she had seen it once again. Seeing her smile so freely made everything a little easier, knowing that she had lived freely and without fear chasing her from every corner. Though she was still stunned to know she had a brother, she was content for it meant during her hardships she had a companion, a lending shoulder that would always help her through it.

They weaved through the hallways slowly before coming to a stop in front of the open drawing room. Eyes immediately noticed their arrival, some glancing away disinterestedly while others approached, interest written in their very expressions. Lillith's voice radiated concern, "Is everything alright?"

Luna nodded with a smile, "Yes, Lillith, everything is perfect."

"Good," she said, her eyes pausing on Saskia for a short second before inclining her head towards where they had already started their research once again. "You may do as you please, however, it is tea time." Her words were lined with heavy suggestion.

A delicate laugh escaped the light elemental's lips, "Of course you would have me do that. I do not mind. Saskia, you sit down, I shall go prepare the tea."

She agreed willingly and approached the table that held thick folders of information about the curse. Chad who had been watching the exchange from behind the first-ranker followed her until she stopped by the table. His eyes were scrutinising her from the side, his gaze heavy with intensity.

Her voice was cold, "Do you need something, fourth ranker?"

"I just wanted to say you look absolutely ravishing."

"Mm-hm," she hummed, used to his tendency to flirt. Her eyes flitted over a folder, the contents of it catching her eye. It was a diary recount from an alabaster knight dated a few days ago and interestingly it was informing them on the steps the people were taking to resist the clutches of the curse. She grabbed the folder, scanning the contents eagerly.

The male beside her loomed closer, "No thank you?"

"So, you praise people just for your ego?"

He grinned shamelessly, "You caught me, darling. But, no seriously, that flower really does look even more beautiful with you wearing it."

She cast him a side eyed look to which his grin widened. Once again, she ignored his dismal attempts and gestured to the folders, "Instead of being a bigger fool than usual, how about you make yourself useful and educate yourself on this task."

"Ah, there she is. How could I have gotten worried?" he sighed heavily before grabbing a folder and slumping into a cushioned seat. Her lips were in a stern frown, a habit she could not waver, before focusing on the diary.

XVI105 10th Knihr

Today I witnessed the true horrors of this plague. This disease--whatever it is, is spreading quickly and those protected from the truth will gain nothing from it. It is but a false serenity, an illusion of safety. They are but fools waiting for death to come knock on their doors. What are we to do? How are we to stop this? Today alone, we have had over five people showing symptoms of the plague. People are being cursed and there is no way to stop it. We are all helpless. How am I to watch these events transpire and still remain sane? For it is my duty as a civil servant to protect the people, and I am shamed to say that I cannot. Something much bigger is at play.