Chapter 13 ~ The Seventh Sanctum

"Despite her tenacity they perished, along with her very heart."

- The Awakening

~*~

The Seventh Sanctum

Chapter 13

Saskia walked through the halls with ease, exiting out of the separate building that housed the women. It was flamboyant by nature and expressed riches through its detailed and delicate decorations. Murals of the ancient wars decorated the ceilings, every inch depicting some part of their renowned history. Ornaments of ages old and some gifted to the academy were showcased atop marble columns, history following her through the building's every turn.

She welcomed the slight warm breeze that brushed past the silky strands of her hair and neck, breathing in the fresh flower-scented air. Surrounding the building stood trees with billowing huge leaves, the wind pushing them side to side despite the sun beaming down on them relentlessly. The slightly cooler tone was a timely reprieve since the atmosphere had become rather humid. The stuffy air had been suffocating, inducing hot flushes and sweat that never seemed to stop. She was grateful to the wind.

A shout alerted her, "Saskia!"

She turned at the sound and found her class trainer approaching her, breathless after his light jog. He stopped beside her and smiled, "I have good news. The headmaster has permitted the class change so instead of coming to my class at the end of the day you will actually need to head to the arena in the morning every day. So, you can make your way there now. Good luck in your endeavours, I wish you well."

"Thank you, Master Adams."

He smiled and left her to her own devices. She swerved left instead of right, the arena just a few metres up ahead. The vast area of the academy made it seem like a small town rather than an actual establishment. The academy itself was huge but the arena was double its size, plush comfortable seats lined in a patterned ring around dusty plains. She straightened upon entering the arena through huge double doors around the front.

Her eyes quickly fell on a class full of twenty students, watching with keen interest as they sparred with their partners in a battle that resembled a fierce dance. Some flashed forward with alarming speed, some relying on heavy, brutish attacks that resonated throughout the vicinity and others nimble on their toes as they swerved left and right. A slight smile played on her lips as she watched them spar for a few minutes before approaching their trainer. Her expression tightened however as she spied three familiar faces engaged in a heated exchange with one another. Their forms were dangerous and positioned in the perfect stance, their hands holding different weapons; all exceptionally deadly if handled cleverly.

Adena breathed out uneasily.

"Excuse me."

The trainer turned around at the sound of her voice, long blonde hair tied in a low ponytail and eyes clearer than the ocean as they observed her interestedly. "Yes, how may I help you?" Some of the students turned their heads at the intrusion but kept concentration as they faced their opponent.

"My name is Saskia. I believe I have been placed into this class as of today."

"Ah! Yes, I was just informed by His Highness. I am Master Haynes. Nice to officially meet you, Saskia. I have heard a great many things about you," he relayed, mischief dancing in his eyes as he held his hands out for her to shake. She shook his hand firmly, unwavering despite his drilling gaze.

She raised an indifferent brow, silently questioning his newfound amusement. He faced his students with a deep grin, "Students, cease combat this instance. I have a new student to welcome you to." At his command they stopped, breaths heavy and stood in a straight single line, backs straight and chin raised; just like obedient soldiers.