Chapter 16 ~ A Tragic Reminiscence

"Darkness cannot survive without light, as light cannot survive without darkness."

- The Awakening

~*~

A Tragic Reminiscence

Chapter 16

"Where is everyone else?" Lillith demanded, aqua orbs reflecting the iciness behind them as she glared slightly at the last remaining member. The others knew exactly where they had gone, it was as clear as day. It was also obvious she was only tormenting him, forcing him through quite a bit of humiliation and fear. Her sadistic streak was starting to show. 

The remaining young man started stuttering at her question, his eyes unable to hold hers for long. He swallowed heavily, fear palpable in his stance. "Uh--the others...they--they left towards the mountains." He cleared his throat and tried to appear dignified in front of the guardians--embarrassingly so, "Cyran left first saying the demons attacking was the sign. The rest followed one by one."

"And why didn't you leave?" Chad questioned.

"Uh...because Cyran--"

"Of course," the wind user muttered. "That bastard needs to be taught another lesson, it seems he's forgotten his last one." He glanced at Lillith and then Saskia with a foxy grin, "I'll see you ladies later." With that parting they watched as he used the winds to elevate himself before shooting across the skies, a gleeful chuckle escaping his widening lips.

The twins started after him, short legs eating up the distance between them quickly. The young man left straight after them not before Lillith's eyes rested upon him, his eyes fleeing hastily. Gaia left not soon after with a parting smile, her sides wrapped with gauze that already had blood painting its white canvas. She wished Saskia 'good luck', her smile undoubtedly forced and then ran full speed ahead. Caspian trudged forward stiffly, stony eyes veering left and right.

"Are you going to be alright?"

Saskia glanced at the last member, her fiery locks breezing behind her as a slight, warm wind cooled them down. She nodded before she too started forward, her eyes set on the monstrous mountains up ahead. She could see red, fuming lava oozing out of the tip of some of the volcanoes, vast mountains surrounding them. It was humid enough in the desert so she knew in the midst of all the mountains it would be even worse.

Her steps were smooth and sure, but she still felt unexplainably lethargic. It was no doubt due to the sudden burst of power from Adena. It was one thing using her powers in slow trickles but this time she had been subjected to a vast amount of power in one go, causing her body to react in a way that was obvious she had pushed herself too far. She spat on the ground, blood mixed in with her saliva. She grimaced.

Child, you cannot ask that of me again--do you not remember what happened last time?

I apologise, Adena. I'll try not to ask that of you again, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Adena sighed, your body cannot handle such immense power at any one go child. It must be introduced in slow intervals so that you can continue using it without any repercussions. You are still as reckless as ever. Nothing's changed there.

Saskia's lips moved into a wry smile.

It had been several hours since she started her journey, the blinding rays of the sun completely gone and replaced with the inky sky. Bright lights littered the dusky heavens, the moon offering guidance from its high post. The night was silent but there remained a daunting stillness, a different atmosphere that suggested how unsafe these grounds were. The narratives would never compare to the real feeling of being stranded in this place.