Chapter 23 ~ Burdening Sorrow

"It's okay to let go."

- The Awakening

~*~

Burdening Sorrow

Chapter 23

Saskia felt the tumultuous emotions banging against the steely barrier she used to protect herself, the layers slowly peeling away only to reveal the festering feelings underneath. She felt her throat close up, her heart physically hurting in a way she couldn't handle. Not here. Not with everyone watching. She almost ran outside of the building in her haste, swiftly turning to the alleyway where there were no peering eyes watching because she could feel her inevitable collapse.

As soon as she felt that she was completely alone she stopped. Her shoulders quivered with the force of what she was restraining. The first warm tear trickled down her face before they fell endlessly, like the flowing meander of a river. Her lips trembled with the effort to keep quiet, her hands fisted by her sides. Her breath stuttered as she tried to take in a deep, calming breath but a soft gasp escaped her lips until all she could do was crouch on the floor.

Her eyes blurred to the point where she could see nothing, so she squeezed them tight and mourned. It had been a long, long while since she had let go. So long in fact that it hurt, hurt her so much. Memories, some long forgotten and others fresh in her mind like they had just happened flashed beneath her lids, torturing her more than she had already been.

She jolted as warm arms cocooned her from behind, the soothing smell of roses drifting up her nose. They stayed like that for a while, never ending tears escaping Saskia's eyes. Her eyes were still glued shut, afraid to see the expression on her friend's face. Adena remained silent, but it was a welcomed one. Her sadness was just as profound as hers, the divine beast's mere presence comforting her more than she thought.

The other woman remained silent, her presence just as comforting as her embrace. She quickly brushed away the traces of liquid on her face. She turned around slowly, forcing herself to face her. Luna's face was tender, hazelnut eyes trained on her own. She adjusted herself, her hands reaching up to gently brush away the tears on her face. She leant forward and placed an affectionate kiss on her forehead. She drew back, eyes soft. "How did I get so lucky to have such a strong friend like you?" she whispered.

"I'm not strong," Saskia murmured, voice quiet.

Child, you are the strongest person I know...

"You are the strongest person I know," Luna countered--the exact same words as Adena--the warmth behind her eyes causing Saskia to feel even more emotional as both comforted her more than anyone else she knew. "Come," she said, standing up and offering her palm. "Let us take a walk together."

The amber eyed woman reached forward and climbed to her feet, any traces of tears and weakness wiped from her face. She was a clean slate once again, her features hardened into place and the permanent frown back in place. Her friend smiled kindly, eyes radiating nothing but reassurance and comfort. She linked their arms together and guided her back inside the guardian's home. She glanced at her questioningly, not yet ready to face the others when she still felt the fragile remnants of her heart shaking.

Luna smiled reassuringly, their steps muted as they crossed the foyer and stopped at the end of the hallway. She stepped forward and pressed her palm into a scanning device. It beeped green before a door slid open smoothly, revealing a portal. She grabbed her hand and squeezed it, "Think of somewhere you would like to go. Someplace you feel safe."

She cleared her throat and then swallowed, her frown deepening. Her voice was almost inaudible as she spoke, "The one place that makes me feel safe..."