Chapter 23 ~ Burdening Sorrow

Comincia dall'inizio

Her friend, albeit naïve--worryingly so--noticed the subtle change in her demeanour. She smiled widely, "How about I choose? Think of beautiful gardens embedded with flowers and trees and wildlife, filled with so much love and life."

"Where are we going?"

"The garden of fiyre."

She closed her eyes and with the destination in mind, they both stepped through, their arms linked. The jubilant chirruping of birds filled her ears before she opened her eyes, the sight before her causing her breath to pause. Wide grassy plains, vividly green and bright with life wavered from the slight breeze, flowers of all sorts and colours creating a carefully arranged bouquet on the grounds. Trees of all kinds, some tall and thick and others short and thin dotted around the land, a glistening pond harbouring beautiful, small water nymphs as they tittered and giggled. Their skin sparkled under the beaming sun, long tresses of hair carefully curled into stunning coiffures. 

Adena watched them with a fond smile, having not seen nymphs in a long, long while.

A towering ornamental piece stood proudly behind the pond, hidden between the cluster of trees and bushes, vines and moss claiming it religiously but despite that the person was clear to distinguish. "Queen Freya, wife of the first reigning king," murmured Luna. The black-haired woman approached on numb legs, eyes thoroughly tracing the contours of her gentle face. A soft smile was placed on the late queen's face, her hair braided into an updo with small strands framing her petite face.

Saskia felt her friend approach.

"Beautiful, is she not?" she said, voice hushed as to not disturb the nymphs. "Out of all the queens, she is my most favourite. Do you know why?" she asked, continuing without waiting for an answer. "Because despite her harsh life and despite not having any skills whatsoever in terms of governing a nation--she still walked through life smiling. She could smile at any of the citizens and their doubts and worries would fade like the transition from dusk to dawn." They both stood there, basking in the comforting silence for a few minutes when a small voice disturbed them.

"Luna!"

They turned, startled by the yell. A naiad waded through the water eagerly, her eyes wide with excitement. The young naiad's ears were sharp and pointed, features soft and rounded and thick, long waves of golden spun hair covered her modesty. She rested her arms on the mossy banks, yellow eyes flecked with blue resting on Luna. "We have not seen you in so long, guardian of the light."

Others flocked behind her, limbs elegant as they swam towards them. They all tittered and spoke enthusiastically, their childish yet pure nature softening the harsh planes of Saskia's face as she watched them interact with her friend. One of them noticed her behind Luna and smiled.

"Is this your friend?"

Luna nodded, a fond smile on her lips as she interacted with them. "Yes, Aerwyna, you guessed right. I want to introduce you all to Saskia."

Aerwyna beamed charmingly, a smile that told of her pure innocence. She swam close to her figure and magically produced a flower from beneath the surface. Its petals were rich and vibrant with colour as it unfurled from its closed pose. She beckoned her closer and just when she was close enough, the naiad placed the bloomed flower behind her ears with care, the scarlet colour complimenting Saskia's hair perfectly. "Beautiful," she breathed.

Beautiful.

It was a word she hardly associated with herself that it sounded odd coming out of the girl's glistening lips. She thanked her, her voice toned down before sitting cross legged by the edge of the river, watching but not really seeing as they playfully splashed around. A warm hand settled on her shoulders, hazelnut eyes regarding her with motherly concern. "Do you feel better?"