Chapter 19

The pilot announced the approach to their final destination. As the helicopter moved closer, James noted a mixed conifer forest peppered with quaking Aspen trees and a not-so-distant mountain range framing the mid-sized research compound. His escort made no movement to leave the aircraft, but James stood to leave as soon as wheels hit dirt. Outside the aircraft, the hum and rustle of quivering leaves supported the idea they'd landed in Colorado. He shaded his eyes and adjusted to the natural light while he scanned the area.

At the front of the building, the hazy outline of two men manifested; he recognized one. Years of fantasizing what he would do when confronting Hank again raced through his head. In the early months of exile, he'd played out this scene. Today there was no plan. James walked straight to Hank and socked him squarely in the nose. The other man laughed.

"Hank said there might be some resistance from you," the other man said. "I bet he's wishing for some of that 'resistance' right now." Brasco stepped away from Hank's dripping nose. "I'm John Brasco, Naval Intelligence."

James ignored Brasco along with the pain searing through his knuckles from its collision with Hank's nose.

Hank's attempt to appear unruffled proved futile since his nose poured blood like a running faucet. His ears rang and he saw stars.

"And here I was going to offer you a nice, hot cup of coffee," he said and did his best to sneer as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Why are you angry? You're alive aren't you? I had to work blind on a cure." Forced to stop talking, he coughed, gagged and spit out blood that oozed down the back of his throat.

James' normal pallor erupted a ruddy pink. He moved closer to Hank and hissed, "If it wasn't for you, there would be no need for a cure." James' spittle splashed across Hank's face.

He turned to Brasco and said, in obvious disregard for Hank, "You must be in charge. I don't trust that I'll be alive for very long so order Hemorrhaging Hank here to turn over all research on that nasal spray."

Brasco watched the exchange with a mix of amusement and concern; the clichéd chest thumping and childish verbal barbs between the two rivals bordered on the absurd, however Hank's inability to see the futility of James' attitude was a concern. Hank needed to get control of his ego if he was going to be an effective leader of the research team. Brasco decided to get right to the point.

"The Nano Project has taken an unexpected turn. We need your help." That changed James' focus. Brasco produced a folder from behind his back and handed it over. The file was slim; James calmed himself, opened it and read its contents.

"All information gathered indicates that nano-machines have altered the sperm whale in the photos," Hank explained. "Whether they are specifically the nano-machines lost in the explosion several years back is one of the questions this assembled team will answer."

"Where's the evidence?" James asked Brasco. The information and file photos were unbelievable.

" A piece was recovered from a military conflict and analyzed. Preliminary data show the nanos to carry the marker of our project," Hank replied.

Concern creased James' face. "How badly damaged?" he asked.

Hank started to answer him, gagged and spit out a clot of blood from his nosebleed. Brasco answered. "The whale/craft survived combat but two military crafts were destroyed. We've been approved a very small window of time to capture this thing or it will be destroyed."

"Who else do we have working on this?" James asked, again he addressed Brasco.

Hank answered. "I'm in charge of the project, James. Melinda Davenport is on board, along with Dan some-thing-or-other, a Cetacean specialist."

James rejected Hank's comment and spoke directly to Brasco. "How many people have this intel?"

Hank moved and stood between James and Brasco. "You can't ignore me and be on this project," he said. "You're going to have to decide. I put this project above whatever happened between us in the past. I want you on this project, but I don't need you."

Exhausted, James rubbed the back of his neck. While in the helicopter, he'd slept with one eye on the military beast. Also, he'd been fairly certain he'd die from his virus before reaching the states; any thoughts and dreams during the flight were tormented with elements of death. However, he hadn't died. In fact, he felt better than he had in a very long time. He turned to address Hank. "Who else knows?" he asked. Hank carefully arranged his face and masked the self-satisfaction he felt.

"Just a handful of researchers from a private lab that's been paid substantially for their silence," answered Hank. Clair's murder briefly crossed his mind.

Brasco added, "Of course, select members of the intelligence community are also aware."

James walked away from the two men toward the facility in the distance. "I want in on the project," he said to no one in particular. "I'll be a good team player but I don't trust you Hardin. And Brasco, I don't think I trust you either."

The two men stayed outside while James entered the building. The smart lab would alert Moto of a visitor and he would see that James settled into his quarters.

Hank reached up and gingerly touched his swollen nose, wondering if ice or steak would stop the throbbing.

Brasco stared critically at Hank's swelling nose. "You're going to have at least one black eye."

"The cretin thinks I tried to kill him," Hank said, arrogance dripping off his words in tandem with the blood dripping from his nose.

"Is he going to live –- at least as long as we need him?" Brasco asked.

"He's lived this long, so he'll survive." His swelling nasal membrane pushed against his vocal cords, producing an adenoidal whine.

"The spray I developed was effective on the nanos I tested – the ones affecting James," Hank said. He coughed and hawked up bloody phlegm. He added a sardonic tone to the stuffy whine caused by his swollen nose. "I was worried the nanos had mutated – like the ones that transmogrified the whale – so it was a risk, but it worked. And we don't need James, I want him here for–"

"I know what you want, just be sure you can do your job!" Brasco interrupted.

Both men followed the path to the lab; Brasco positioned himself smack in the middle of the walkway, which allowed little room for Hank. Hank silently limped along beside him, one foot on the pebbled path and the other in the spongy moss that lined the trail. Brasco pulled up short and forced Hank to stop too close to him.

Brasco turned and pushed his face even closer to Hank.

"And, don't try to intimidate or impress me," he snarled. "You would be surprised by my broad scope of knowledge. Transmogrify! Now you call your Titan a monster?" Brasco flicked Hank's swollen nose with one hand and opened the door with the other.

If you like this chapter please comment/ and or vote.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/novocetus/info

Book trailer: https://youtu.be/xJfg1CFP7Xg

website: www.novo-cetus.com