Chapter 27: Let's all join hands

Written by PhoenixAndHippogriff
Carina asks for a piece of thread to test the journey, and so I pull one from my cloak. She plucks it from my hand and disappears, leaving me staring forlornly at the space she occupied, not quite sure what to do.
A black mark is scorched into the ground, in the shape of letters. TONIGHT, the marks scream and I want to scream back. I am lost and confused and all I know is that something is happening, now. I thought this would take careful planning, like The Believers. But no, all it is is a rushed plan that is forced upon us like a burden, making me want to shout, why me? Why me? Out of all the Deviann, why me? But instead of doing that I pull up the hood of my cloak and head away, towards my cave. It looks like there's going to be one final meeting before it happens. We need all the help we can get and we need it now.
****
My entire eye is blue now, and it darts across the room of Deviann as I scramble through my sentences, trying to explain something I don't understand.
"We need to be ready," I say, "And we need to be together. But first, we need a piece of Drikener, four or five meters long? Can we get that? Anyone here work in weaving?"
"I do!" A hand shoots up. Despair, I think. The one who brought snacks. "I can go and get it now, if you want? Can someone come with me? I don't want it to get tangled."
"Yes. Of course. Go."
"I'll go with her," Tempest offers, and walks to the door. I give her a shaky smile and she returns it with a matching one.
"Good luck," I say.
"You too," she answers.
"What now?" A Deviann asks.
"Well... From the sounds of it we need as many Deviann as possible. So let's go to the Temple. It's around the time for the Last Chant. There should be plenty of Deviann there."
We walk off in pairs, me at the front on my own. Our incessant chatter fills the halls. I concentrate on the rhythm of my feet... One, two, one, two, one, two. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. And then we're there. I gesture for everyone to be silent and their voices fall to a muted level. I take a deep breath and push open the large, black doors. To my surprise, everyone is silent. And shockingly, when I speak, they listen. But the thing that really made my jaw drop was that they agreed. To help me. Us. Realign the dimensions. Reunite the two species. Bring life and freedom to the worlds. Rediscover Terra, and make it our home.
It is not long before Tempest and Despair return. Clutching the Drikener tight, they weave through the crowds. And we wait. An hour passes. Then she appears.
"Grab the end," she says. I do, and then clasp Tempest's hand. Then she grabs Despair's, who holds, Storm's, who grips Torch's and it goes on, in a Mexican Wave of union. We are one. And then Carina disappears. I grit my teeth and clench the Drikener. It cuts into my hand. My eyes squeeze shut. This is it. The time is here. I take a deep breath and slowly, a tugging feeling emerges in my gut. My eyes stay shut. I am afraid to open them. Whatever happens, it ends here.