Chapter 20: The Purpose Of Life

Written by @pen-to-the-paper

Carina

As we move through the passages towards the heart of the caves, where the High Priests live, I notice Ember examining something on the back of her hand.

Gently, I hold up her hand and i see the colour of human skin. I look curiously. It is cold to the touch, and it trails up from the hand to her shoulder.

Quickly she shakes her head and we move on.

"Carina?" She whispers.

"Yeah," I reply.

"Why is this happening? Why are you here?"

"Ember," I pause and turn towards her, "I don't know, but I think - I might have something to do with it."

She looks at me, puzzled. She gestures for me to continue.

"I don't know what," I continue "but why am I the only one who comes here, why am I the only one who knows about you? I was always different to everyone else, and maybe this was why I am.

Fate.

"Maybe I was born to be different, to be unique, maybe I was born for a purpose. To do something. To change your world and my world. To make them one world again."
I break off abruptly.

"We have to realign the dimensions before the human world dies."
She looks away.

"I can't."

"Why?"

"Because you'll need so many Deviann. I'm not a leader. You are. And it's you who's got to make change."

***

We are sitting the highest of the High Priests' cave, the High Priest was astonished when he saw me, and he determined he had to show me to the Deviann world.

He has called a speech, and I am the reason of it. I feel bad for Ember; she is the first person in history to have escaped that maze, yet I feel like I am taking all the credit.

The High Priest comes back.
"It's time"

***

Ember walks out onto an obsidian stage, and is met with millions of Deviann cheers.

The High Priest tries to talk, but the noise from the clapping and shouting envelopes him so he stays quiet.

"Quiet!"

It is mostly quiet, except for the sound of a few whispers.

Then it's my turn to step out.

And I know what I have to do.

I am met by silence, so deafening that you could hear a pin drop, if there were any. I got the complete opposite reaction as that of Ember, but mine was much more dramatic. Silence speaks for itself.

The faces of the Deviann are nothing like I've ever seen before. They are so shocked, and no one moves at all. It's like we're frozen in time.

And it's like I change the time by whispering four words, though I am quiet, everyone can hear.
I use all of my willpower and transport myself back to the human world.

And whisper those four words to myself again.

"Everything's going to change."

A/N
I'm sorry I'm late but it's now summer! And I apologise again. Yeah. Sorry