Chapter 10: Rising Fire

Written by FuturePresentPast

"Your Majesty, how nice to see you again-"

"HOW DARE YOU! I know I stormed out on you, but you have no right to take the ruling of the country into your own hands!"

"All due respect your majesty, but may I remind you that you are not yet eighteen, and therefore your legally appointed guardian has permission to take over your duties when you are no longer able to rule," Lord Tavrell is as red-faced as ever, and his voice is squealing and squeaking under the pressure of his anger.

"Well then, it doesn't matter now. I'm back. Let's all have a party. And you are going to re-dismiss all of my staff, and return the kingdom to the way it used to be!" I can't believe how fast things have gone downhill since I've left. The Tavrells have pretty much taken the whole city into their own hands. He, from what my guards have told me, took over the kingdom somewhat lightheartedly as soon as I was reported missing. Lady Tavrell however, managed to squeeze out some hard earned tears when she sadly announced my disappearance to the whole world. When I watched the televised version of her speech earlier this morning her face was bone dry until the very end when she 'burst into tears' and had to run inside.

"Well, your Majesty," He pauses, wallowing in his moment of success, "That's where you're wrong I'm afraid. As stated in the law- which may I add was created by your own father- when the current ruler has demonstrated that they may not be mentally or emotionally stable, their legal guardian may take over. You are hereby dismissed from service."

"What! No-"

"Guards! Take her away. Lock her in her room and have her guarded day and night," he shoots me an evil look.

"But you can't!" I scream.

"But I can," he says, mocking my voice.

And he does.

---------------

Back in my room again.

That brief period of freedom only lasted a day and a half or so. But it was well worth it. I think of Dylan and Carina, who I would never have met if I hadn't gone. I miss them already, and I've only been back three hours or something.

I inspect the red blotch on my shoulder. It's bigger than it was before, and it's starting to trail off towards my neck and head. The blotch can't be a rash or anything like that, because the area isn't raised or painful. It's just flat, like normal skin. I brush my hand over it. The red skin is hot, almost feverish, but even right next to it, my normal skin is my average body temperature. It doesn't fade from hot to hotter. It's like a line. One side warm, the other burning up. A tendril of red runs up my neck to just below my chin. How can it be spreading so fast?

And what is it?

At six in the afternoon, someone knocks on my door.

"Come in," I croak. I am starting to feel feverish. Maybe it's the red skin. Maybe it's a disease...

Jonas enters. He looks pale and is clearly stressed. I give him a questioning look.

"It's Alise," he looks worried at the very mention of her name, "The baby's due any day now and I need to be there for her-"

"I understand. And if I could I swear I'd let you go. But I promise on my life and the life of my people that I will get you out of here. Along with everyone else."

He hands me a steaming plate of food, and I take it, eating it fast and ignoring the pain as it burns it's way down my throat. As he turns to leave, something comes into my head, and I stiffen.