Chapter 12: A Story To Tell

Written by PhoenixAndHippogriff

"Okay..." I pretend to think,"Now, where to start? Oh yes! I'm Devil's descendant."

Silence. I've got their attention.

"Blasphemy! You shall be killed in the Labr-" the High Priest shouts.

"I'm already sentenced to that. Tradition says that I must tell a story, or I will not be given the hour's head start. Let me tell my story."

More silence gives me a canvas to paint. And I'm going to paint it as brightly as I can, before the paint runs out.

"Millions of years ago, there was a planet called Terra where two species lived in harmony. The planet was a perfect place to sustain life for both species. The only flaw was the water. We drink water that burns them- they call it acid water- and they drink water that burns us -God's Juices. So we worked together, built an underground cave system, because when it would rain one of the races could get damaged. And there was this thing called Love. It was something that made your heart flutter, something that made you feel special, and happy. But it could cause pain too.

Then something happened. No one knows what. But suddenly there was a blinding light and when everyone woke up we were here. Bryris. And they were on Earth. We were separated. And no one knew why. We were stuck with the caves, and I assume they with the land.

"All of a sudden chaos ensued. People were scared, and they didn't know what was going on, and people started dying. The Creseen flares were reaching the planet. We were dying of radiation. But then Devil Hades came. He saw that we were dying, because although the education wasn't great back on Earth, and although he was mistreated, and misjudged, and weak, and bullied, and felt useless, he hoped. He hoped that we would live, and he hoped that we would thrive and he hoped that we would come together, and despite everything, Love, and Hope too. Because despite everything he went through, and everything our race had gone through, he loved, and he hoped. And so he wrote a note -a will- and took a scrap of paper, and left. He started a fire, above the caves, and left a gap for him to leave through. Now it's covered in woven Ice-Drikener. I've seen it. It's beautiful. You can see the stars. When he left, he was killed. Instantly. We can't survive out there in space, with no air. His body drifted towards the Creseen, and eventually reached it. Because it gives out no heat, he managed to hit the Creseen almost unharmed, and it evolved around him. Now it has his preserved corpse in the centre, which counteracts the radiation that could harm us, now we have evolved to be like this. Our horns and tails weren't always there. We evolved like this because of the flares.

"Devil wasn't extraordinary. He was less than that. He was average. But that's why he was so special.

"And how do I know this? A family heirloom. My family has tracked the youngest member for generations, and given them a gift. Devil's Diary.

"Our religion is made from lies. He's dead. He's not a god. And now something is happening. Something that's already happened, before the Big Bang. Look!" I expose my neck, tilting my head and turning it to the crowd. Soft pink flesh stands out from my thick red skin. "Something's happening and we need to embrace this change. We've been living in the dark for too long," I take a deep breath.

"And it's time for us to see the stars."

Sorry for the short chapter, I promise the next one will be a lot longer.
Kay xx